Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
I have an early WaA613 proofed tangent hipower that has the top of the 500 meter sight in the white.This is one example you can use as a reference on the early configuration.Don't know the answer to your overall question.
Jim

· Registered
91 Posts
Bob,

My early High-Power has the sight slide in-the-white. Also, on page 171,(fig.171-2) of Anthony Vanderlinden's excellent book: "The Belgian Browning Pistols", all the variations of the tangent sights shown appear to be in-the-white.

Hope this helps.

Charles

· Registered
2,859 Posts
I have five 613 marked slotted/tangent and two 613 marked tangents with no slot Hi-Powers and all are in the white -------------------- Except ----------- that portion of the sight that is under the 50 meter marking is not in the white. The white starts at the 50 meter marking line.

This has been true for 613 marked pistols that I have seen.

I have seen over the years a number of sights that have been blued or blackened. Some of this occured if the pistol was refinished and other times it was a field modification (so I was told) to reduce glare.

The bluing on the sight can be removed & and if carefully done, it (with one exception) will look like the original type sight. The one exception is that the white part can have a little shine if one is not careful.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My WaA140 has a tangent site which is all blue. I feel I'm good at picking out re finishes and this one sure looks correct, wear in the right places,sharp markings and no rounded corners. May be just the site was done in the field. I also have a WaA 103 with a blue tangent site. It also has a blue bbl. Markings on it are very sharp , but it has some blood pitting and I think it way have been dipped at some time to make it look better. I look forward to taking both to Chattanooga in August to get some expert opinions. Thanks Bob

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I now believe the slide on this 140 tangent was refinished. Compared it very closely to another 140. The job is beautiful and would never be noticed if it were not for the site. How do you remove the tangent site from the slide. Does the recessed pivot pin drive out? from the left or right? Vinegar should remove the blue nicely without leaving a shine. Look forward to your replies Thanks Bob

· Registered
91 Posts
Charlie,

I looked at the sight slide on my early Tangent/Slotted High Power again, and you're absolutely right! From the 50 meter marking line back, it is indeed blued! Forward of the 50 meter mark it is in-the-white.

Another point I must keep in mind when trying to determine the originality of a tangent sighted High Power.

Thanks very much,

Charles

· Registered
67 Posts
A blue tangent sight is often an indicator that the gun was reblued or partially redone. Factory originals have the ladder sight in the white. The V notch used to aim with is actually blued but the markings on from 50 meters are always polished.
Anthony Vanderlinden

· Registered
67 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cj029

Bob,

My early High-Power has the sight slide in-the-white. Also, on page 171,(fig.171-2) of Anthony Vanderlinden's excellent book: "The Belgian Browning Pistols", all the variations of the tangent sights shown appear to be in-the-white.

Hope this helps.

Charles
Thank you Charles for listing the reference!
Anthony Vanderlinden

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.