Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, let me present THEE very example of the first discovered fully original assembled Star rig some 30 years ago. It was this very rig that the collecting fraternity first determined what a holster for the Star Model B was. We knew, of course, that the Star was used by the German forces but up till that time no one knew what holster the gun was carried in. To make a long story short, I contacted a local yard sales picker who happen to have this pistol for sale along with the extra magazine. Since I had agreed to purchase this weapon , I proceeded to ask where was the holster if he had the second magazine. Oh, he said, it's just an old P.38 holster !! Looking at it, some perculiar points of interest struck me so I had to pay him an additional $10 for the holster and so it became , what is known today as the benchmark for Star Model B rigs. The holster is unique in that several points are different from what a normal example would be. The wider magazine pouch to accommodate the Star magazine, the original main flap replaced with a higher arch leather pattern, location of stud is 1/2 inch higher and the P.38 desigantor is stamped on the upper rear portion of the holster's back. At first , I thought that perhaps the holster was modified at a receiving Depot but after giving some more thought, it is determined that the modifications were done at the holster firm who made the holster originally as no empty stitch holes are present ; meaning that the magazine pouch was applied to a normal P.38 holster pattern whose desigantor was already applied or stamped while being made at the holster firm. Apparently, it was a rush order whose peculiarities have resulted with these anomalies. FYI, all of some twenty holsters examined by me and so marked, originally carried a Star Model B but in nearly all cases , rub marks of a P.38 were also present. Only three holsters examinated were of Star Model B rub marks alone. To my way of thinking, Post war rearrangements were made by individuals over here as the holster is clearly marked P.38 !! Look closely and obtain some hard discovered knowledge that one takes for granted today.

Download Attachment: DSC01508.JPG
182.4 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01509.JPG
167.67 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01510.JPG
185.7 KB
After examining twenty some different examples I have come to the conclusion that the date is 1944 but is missing or illegible on nearly all viewed examples.

Download Attachment: DSC01511.JPG
244.32 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01512.JPG
218 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01513.JPG
230.06 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01514.JPG
223.92 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01518.JPG
95.5 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01515.JPG
208.23 KB
Once again, the Germans weren't making these pistols for the collector as the D in WaAD20 waffenamt is illegible on nearly all of these weapons with this stamping.

Download Attachment: DSC01516.JPG
187.95 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01517.JPG
217.88 KB
The Magazines are shown to differentitate the marks found on base from what is found on the WaA251 variation and the WaAD20 version.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frank; I hope that you appreciate the rarity of your mint WaA251 pistol. As for myself, it took many a year before I could find such an original example and this when the collecting era was more plentiful of specimens. I consider them to be on the very uncommon side of the equation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.