Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I think I know: according to my research, it was made in 1935 (s/n 9016XX); it was acquired by a local gentleman's father, a US soldier in Germany after the surrender, but the current whereabouts of the capture papers are unknown; it originally had 3 silver rounds with it, but these were discarded by the GI prior to him submitting it for inspection. I've seen a few other examples of these "first prize" guns, but never one like this. I only have the few photos he allowed me to snap recently, but if I can generate some interest and/or dig up some info on this pistol, I'm relatively sure he would allow more and better photos to be taken. The case, extra magazine and cleaning rod are present and appear to be in good shape. He has placed waxed paper in the case to prevent rubbing the finish. At this time, I do not know if he would entertain offers. My thanks in advance!
IMG_4695.jpg IMG_4696.jpg IMG_4697.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the look of yours and feel that it's a period engraved example. Most that you see these days are mostly post war engraved. Very nice!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That's certainly a keeper and fairly typical of Walther pre-war engraving.
Congratulations on a very nice find.
Jim

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
This is the first engraved one I've seen and also the first with the inscription on the grip and not the slide. Since the gun is engraved, it would not be appropriate on the slide. I have seen 2 other PPK's (commercial) like this, but not engraved. They are serial #'s 226940k and 226948k. The upper left slide of both says: 'Ehrenpreis zum Wettkampf-Pistolenschiessen des Gaues Franken der NSDAP am 10.u.11. Juni 1939 in Feucht. I think Joe Wotka may own one. If you're able to get more pictures hopefully you can include some of the box, esp. if it has an inscription too. Altho your inscription doesn't show a year, apparently every June there was a big shooting event in Feucht.
Tim H.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the comments and info so far. It also seems that this pistol might be from the June 6-7, 1936, competition, if such was held, as it appears to align with the Saturday & Sundays of that month and year. I have not been able to uncover anything about these shooting competitions beyond what other members have shared. Any suggestions or further thoughts?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Do a google search of "Feucht Germany". It will show location and area maps that may indicate military installations or party headquarters in the immediate area.
Tim H.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Feucht is near Nuremberg. I wonder if the shooting competitions were held there in conjunction with the annual party meetings...

A 1939 Feucht price is pictured at:

http://www.pistolver.de/Walther-PPK-NSDAP-Ehrenpreis.96.0.html

Also, not engraved, but another prize from a 1937 Feucht competition.

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?15907-Walther-PPK-inscribed-party-leader

Looks like the 1938 pistol was sold back in 2009 by Rock Island Auctions:

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...zi-presentation-walther-ppk-1701-c-05645993e4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts