Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given a M2 Portuguese Luger by my soon to be mother in law. As I am new to this, can any one estimate its value or worth. In doing some research I have guessed that it's a 1900's model with the safety on the grip. All the numbers are matching and are clearly visible except for the clip. Serial # 1468. I suspect it's not the original as there are no numbers what so ever on the clip. The gun is, in my opinion, very good condition concidering it's over 100 years old. Included are some photos. Can take more if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Download Attachment: Dscf0017.jpg
121.59KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0018.jpg
120.74KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0019.jpg
118.11KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0020.jpg
120.71KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0017.jpg
121.58KB

·
Administrator
15,561 Posts
Welcome Scott!

I am unsure, if you could take come more pictures, shield the flash a bit, or better yet, take by a window or outside, take pictures of both sides and all around.

Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Model 1906, Manny the Second.

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Hi Scott,

Your 1906 M2 Portuguese luger should have several small stampings of a triangle inside of a circle. Usually found along the left side of the receiver (in front of the trigger side plate), on the back of the frame (just above the lanyard staple) and on the underside of the barrel closest to the receiver end.

Author C. Kenyon states this Portuguese contract (dated 1909) ran about 5,000 pistols and I believe the contract ran serial # 1 to the end.

A proper magazine for your Luger would be wooden, stamped with the same small circle/triangle stamping on its wooden bottom. Magazine is usually not numbered with the gun's serial number. These wooden Portuguese magazines show up from time to time at gun shows and on some of the web sites...

Aluminum bottomed magazines appeared in the late 1920's or early 1930's if I remember correctly.

Here is a photo of my M2 Portuguese (ser. # 2866) rig with proper holster :

Download Attachment: M2-1.JPG
119.55 KB

Download Attachment: M2-3 large.JPG
106.72KB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would appear that my digital camera took bigger and better photos than can be posted. If interested I can email them in zip format for you guys.

thanks
Scott

P.S. Pete, The triangle circle is marked in the places you indicated. Like I noted previously, the clip is not the original. Any idea of the estimated value or worth?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Hi Scott,

I paid $ 1,900.00 for the M2 rig (gun, holster, and drift pin) this past April 2004. The cleaning rod was missing and I added a "repro" rod for another $ 60.00.

If you gun's finish is original (I cannot tell from the glare of the photos) and in better shape than mine, your gun would be valued higher.

I have seen vg to excellent M2 wooden magazines run in the $ 150-250 price range these past 6 months at gun shows.

Your grips look a bit odd and may not be the original DWM grips. The checkering is very flat...almost like the GS grips the Indonesians put on the Dutch lugers as replacements.

Any markings on the inside of your grips ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pete,
I have sent the recent photos to Ed. I can send to you as well if you like. I have not dismantled the gun to see just whats what on the insides. And to be quite honest, I am not sure that I want to as I have never taken a Luger apart. Shotguns yes, but a 100 year old pistol ummmm nope. As you can see, I don't have all the accesories to make this one complete.

ADMIN, pictures added ebt:

Download Attachment: Dscf0001.jpg
58.91KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0002.jpg
26.04KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0003.jpg
29.18KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0004.jpg
41.4KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0005.jpg
33.01KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0006.jpg
23.85KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0007.jpg
25.3KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0008.jpg
29.51KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0009.jpg
46.9KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0010.jpg
17.69KB

Download Attachment: Dscf0011.jpg
32.24KB

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting the additional photos of your nice M2 Luger (and thanks to Ed T., too...).

From what I see in the photos, yours looks to be in original finish condition. The M2's usually saw rough duty and pristine examples are rare. Looks like all of the small parts shown have the correct last 2-digits of the serial number as well...placed in the commercial style of numbering.

You usually cannot do any harm taking a Luger down. Yours looks like it could use a good cleaning and inspection for any active rust. Usually you will find this under the wooden grip panels. I usually will take the firing pin assembly apart but will go no further. Other steps past that will require driving out some drift pins, etc...

Be careful to lift off the wooden grip panels slowly and easily...especially the left side panel...it has a tendency to break off a piece of wood just under the thumb safety lever if you are not careful. I also pressed down the magazine release button when lifting off the left grip panel.

Here is a link to a Luger take-down and re-assembly. I find doing step # 3 with the pistol upside-down is easier, since it helps to deal with the s-shaped link swinging out of the way :

http://www.marstar.ca/AssemblyLugerPistol.htm

With a little practice, one can easily do the disassembly in 1-2 minutes...once you are there...try it with your eyes closed...

If a local gun shop has a person with Luger experience, most folks are glad to see a Luger in person and will usually help show you how to take it apart as well.

From your added photos, it appears your grips may have been sanded down or else the sharp diamond checkering has been worn completely flat. The right grip, in particular, looks a bit curious. Once you take off your wooden grips, let us know if you see any stampings on the underside of the wood on each grip.

Nice M2 Portuguese Luger !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.