Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1916/1920 Erfurt Luger that I know nothing about any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to post pics but can not get them to load. So I will try to explain the gun. It looks as if all the #'s match. The front of the grip has the following letters and #'s SP. BN. 828. 1749 1179 the 828 & 1749 are x'ed out. the front of the frame under the barrel is marked 7361 (which is x'ed out) then the right ser.# which is 8193 the a N under both. All other parts are marked with a 93. If it will help I can e-mail pics for a better explanation.
Thanks
Jim

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Jim, your vast amount of numbers is confusing, as I am sure it is for you!
To start with, the 1916 is the year of manufacturer, and the 1920 is a a property marking, only used that one time by the German gov't.

The last two of the serial number should be on many parts, internal, as well as seen externally.

Doing searches of 1916 would bring many guns up. Does yours have a sear safety? This is a modification added in the 1930's for police guns, below is a picture of what one would look like, the circled area is what I mean:

Download Attachment: 1914_DWM_police_parts_color.jpg
57.18 KB

I have sent you an e-mail to help posting pictures, there is a tutorial here on the forum, and pictures must be smaller than 300 kilobytes each picture to post.
ed

·
Registered
6,194 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Ed, You can barely make out a 1916 overstamped by the 1920. I've never seen one done that way. They did'nt copletely remove the date before stamping the 1920.
Jim You have a 1916 Imperial Erfurt that has been re-worked during the Weimar era (right after WWI) and re-issued as a police pistol. The sear safety was added to prevent the accidental discharge during disassembly and cleaning. In case a cartridge was left in the chamber. I believe the marking is for the Potsdam police. And has been reissued to 3 units. Evidenced by the X'd out #s. It has also been rebuilt,and the frame force matched.(X'd out and restamped ser#) Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.