Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired my wife's uncle's Battle of the Bulge "bring back". His tour of duty was painstakingly put on paper and I would like to gather some additional information on this pistol.

In general, I believe it is a 1920 DWM, "rework". It is chamber marked "1920", has a script marked DWM toggle and a 3 7/8" barrel chambered in 9mm luger. The pistol retains about 80% "straw colors", and retains about 8o%+ finish. The P-08 was captured while on a patrol from a German officer and it's holster is knife tooled, "CHAFFIN" apparently denoting the soldier's name. Inside is an original take-down tool and a spare "fxo" milled magazine with a bakelite floor plate, (non matching to the gun) as well as a wooden floor plate sheet stamped magazine, also non-matching.

The holster is faded black with white stiching and the back is marked" AUWAETER & BUBECK A.G. STUTTGART 1936"

The pistol is serial number "9422a" and is all matching except for the take-down lever (marked "82") and a restamped side plate "22" , (was "82") which I suspect was part of the original rework process.

On the inside grip area are unit markings? "S.B.13797." ALONG WITH THE FOLLOWING TEXT WHICH WAS XXX-D OUT: "S.B.O.N.3. 47."

The eagle proof marks on the right front area of the receiver are "washed out" apparently from the arsenal rework/reblue? This pistol has not been fired since its return from the Ardennes forest.

Any help in further classifying this pistol would be deeply appreciated!

Also an estimate on value would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Gary, the xxx on the grip strap means that the weapon was transferred from one unit to another and thus restamped (a correct procedure).

The 1920 is more than likely the year stamping, as your serial number falls into place for a 1920 era gun.

It appears that it is either pretty well worn (i.e. the acceptance stamps on the right are worn or buffed down). This brings value down, but different pictures might make it look different. Value on a "shooter" (some people might call it a parts gun, due to the non-matching parts), a value of $450 - $550 minimum is usually possible. Maybe more?

Two things;

1. Can you put the pictures right here onto this server, in that way it will stay as long as the posting stays.
2. I collect stories and pictures of bring-backs for a book I am making, have about 80 pages so far (maybe 30 assorted stories), could I get a story from you on the history of the bring back and also pictures?

Ed

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Garys

First off, welcome to the forum and congratulations to your wife's uncle in making it back alive as the fighting in the ardennes was some of the most fiercest of battles in the war. In particular the battle of the bulge.Four of my uncle's served and were dispatched to Norway and Holland, all made it back.

Now onto your luger, As Ed has stated the 1920 date is correct as the (a) suffix fits unlike WW2gunz example under this same heading that I am still not clear on as we have not been successfull in helping him out 100%.

Your FXO magazine is not correct for your Weimar P08, Bakelite or the black bottom is a late Mauser usually attached to a 41/42 mauser and is generally referred as the correct magazine for the black widow provided the body bears the correct proofs.

The second magazine with the wood bottom would be more correct for the luger as it is a crimped body, do not trouble yourself with the non serialed bottom of the magazine, a common thing.

It is possible that your luger is made up from leftover parts and that is the reason for the mismatched takedown lever and side plate, also a common occurance for a weimar luger.

This luger has had a hard life and has no doubt saw lots of action bieng assigned to two police units S. B. Schutzpolizei Berlin and the Schutzpolizei Osnabruck. the next mark is not an N but the numeral II 3rd detachment weapon number 47.

History has shown that as the military troops were used up by the Germans or captured the police forces were sent into battle at the closing of WW#2 to shore up weak defensives and was thus captured by your uncle.

Eds book in the making will be an interesting read when completed as real stories are a detailed part of our history.

Hope the information helps and listen to the other posts as my analysis of the grip markings may be a bit off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll post some new photos in a day or two directly on the server, (I wasn't aware of this feature on the site.) Anyway, I'm looking to get a copy of Burt's manuscript and original photographs so that I can digitally preserve them as I have read a pretty crude copy (mimeographed...I believe!)In addition to the luger, he also brought back a 98K mauser rifle, (recently sold to perfect stranger...damn), many nazi dress daggers, medals and arm bands etc. His account on the Luger was that his patrol was surprised by an officer and enlisted man who both "had the jump" on the GI's and came to meet at about one pace distance apart. The German officer apparently judged the situation to the contrary and threw his arms in the air to surrender. Burt said that until the German's arms were raised, "we never saw them...we're lucky they didn't take us out." The officer and EM were both taken as prisoners and Burt confiscated both the luger and the foot soldiers' rifle.

Several days later, Burt was struck down by MG42 fire across the rear legs and lower back putting him in the field hospital for the second time, (shot in the *** by a 98K the first incident). During his bedrest in the hospital, a nurse cautioned him about the luger pistol and misc artifacts stowed under his pillow and stated, "You are not supposed to have those items here..." Burt remarked as he rolled over and displaced the MG42 artwork across his legs and behind and said, "I'm not supposed to have these items here either!!"

Its personalized stories like these that raise the value of every keepsake, outside the materialistic value.

Thanks,
Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.