Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to learn more about this luger...Serial No 13XXX, all matching wood grip & magazine bottom. Only markings are DWM on top of toggle and H.K. S on right side of frame, apparantly with red coloring inside of stamped letters. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

Download Attachment: Markings.jpg
95.49KB

Download Attachment: Left.jpg
168.98KB

Download Attachment: Right.jpg
145.53KB

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Kaw7

This does not look right and before going further could you post more pictures, ie front and rear sight, frame date, close up of left receiver side at the front, picture of the toggle area at the hinge pin, serial number and location.

True navies are hard to come by and do not have any lettering in red.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I'd like to see more pictures too, mostly because I'm curious. No Navy sight, no stock lug, no Navy proofs, the barrel looks like a new replacement...I have no qualms in saying that, as a Navy, it is a bogus as the day is long. It is probably a terrific Luger to shoot.

--Dwight

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Kaw7

Thankyou for posting the pictures.

Your luger is most definetly not a navy, the reason I had asked you to post pictures of the sights and so on is that these are the areas that jump right out at you and say whoa. True navy's have a two position rear sight , different barrel band at the front sight, should have been dated on left front frame and a dozen other reasons that yours is not a bonafide navy.

I can appreciate trying to own one but educate yourself further by going over the navy post's and you will readily see the difference.
Good luck on your next purchase.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The good news is this was a gift... I'm just trying to figure out what it is, and it fit some photos of DWM Navals, but a lot of details did not match up. The key I think is the H.K. S stamp on the right side.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
This is a very interesting Luger for a couple of reasons. #13907 is a very wrong part of the serial# range for this gun, it is an appropriate number for a 1900-series Luger. Also, 5-digit serial number Commercial series guns were not number stamped on the left receiver, if there is anything there it is only a proof mark.

It looks as though the frame serial# is photographed with the action open, could you photograph it again with the action closed? The purpose for this is to see if the frame front has been shaved. It would also be useful to see a photo of the bottom of the rear grip strap, to determine if the stock lug has been removed, or if it is originally manufactured without one.

Other useful photos would be extreme closeups of the left, right, and top of the receiver, to help determine if marks have been removed from those surfaces.

Are there numbers on the bottom edges of the takedown lever and sideplate and if so, what are they?

Lugerlou is right about the trigger being very odd. If you take the sideplate off, are there numbers on it, or any other marks?

What are the numbers and markings on the hidden surfaces of this gun--botom of the toggle parts and receiver, inside of the frame?

Are there markings stamped on the inside of the grip panels? Be very careful when you take them off to check, there are places which can break easily...

H.K. S is not a known Luger marking. A WAG is that it might be the mark of the gunsmith who performed alterations on this Luger.

Its a terrific gift.

--Dwight

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New photos included. Examind frame under bright light and magnification-no sign of markings/numbers removed. Takedown lever, sideplate and triger all have "07" stamped. The toggle assembly is also marked with 07s and an N proof mark. Back of grips have some marks-see photo. Left grip frame is stamped with an H.

Hope these additional pics help my cause!

Download Attachment: 06 Frame serial No.jpg
75.91KB

Download Attachment: 07 Rear Grip frame.jpg
84.53KB

Download Attachment: 08 trigger.jpg
156.95KB

Download Attachment: 09 Toggle right.jpg
134.45KB

Download Attachment: 10 Toggle left.jpg
145.58KB

Download Attachment: 11 toggle bottom.jpg
151.93KB

Download Attachment: 12 Grips-rear.jpg
165.37KB

Download Attachment: 13 Left Grip Frame.jpg
149.51KB

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
?? WAG, could it be something done by Heinrich Krieghoff - Suhl?

Did they not purchase some DWM's and market them with their name and logo? Maybe something they cobbled together.

Luger experts, please don't laugh at me, just a thought.

Francis
VIS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In fact, the owners prior to me were told it was a Krieghoff Luger. They had an extensive Luger & WW2 collection and would not be easy to fool. That theory is not wild at all.

Thanks
Ken

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Originally posted by KAW7

In fact, the owners prior to me were told it was a Krieghoff Luger. They had an extensive Luger & WW2 collection and would not be easy to fool. That theory is not wild at all.

Ken, I'm afraid that the way you should have phrased the above statement is "...the former owners prior to me TOLD someone that they were told..."

How many used cars are sold as "one owner"?

If it's a Krieghoff it's a one of a kind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very true. The possible Krieghoff connection however, does open up another avenue of investigation in pursuit of this pistol's origins and value. After two recent huricanes in the last two months, I've go to document value to properly insure it within my collection.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I seriously doubt any Krieghoff connection, as I said WAG. Not a card toting member of the "Luger expert club". Could be Heinz Ketchup-Soupstadt for all I know.

Gibson, in his "The Krieghoff Parabellum" does touch upon their reworks, but nothing discussed therein matches this pistol.

Francis
VIS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.