Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I would like to present my 1917 Navy. This is a relatively new acquisition for me, and I'm just now getting around to posting photos. Hopefully our resident Navy experts will tell me I bought a good one.

4575a is all matching with an unnumbered firing pin and grips (which I believe is correct for these?). The magazine has a faint Crown/M but is unnumbered.

Here are the photos:

Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Air gun Gun accessory Everyday carry Composite material Electric blue
Finger Watch accessory Nickel Bicycle part Auto part
Bicycle part Auto part Nickel Rim Fashion accessory
Office supplies Rectangle Writing implement Electric blue Tints and shades
Tool Everyday carry Metal Auto part Blade
Door Household hardware Wood Material property Fixture
Camera lens Gas Bumper Electric blue Auto part
Rolling Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part
Tool Nickel Metal Composite material Auto part
Automotive exterior Composite material Auto part Metal Nickel
Household hardware Cylinder Nickel Door Rectangle

The floor is open for questions, comments, and criticisms.

-Brandon

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,114 Posts
All you need now are a Type 2 holster and magazine pouch. nah..go for the type 1 and a stock. The type 2 was for landlubbers. Not that there's anything wrong with that... but the stock!

Checked my dozen Navy mags but nothing close..

Reactions: Brandon M

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Beautiful gun. Thank you for the nice presentation!
Tim H.

Reactions: Brandon M

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the compliments. Navies make me nervous, but I used the 1917 Navy Real Vs. Fake thread here authored by Mike Cogswell and felt pretty good about it.

Norm and Jerry, I am always looking for the proper accoutrements to go with my Lugers, the proper Navy leather is no exception. Lately I have spent more money on holsters, manuals, etc. than I have guns.

Jim, I agree. The 6-inch Navies are probably the best looking Lugers ever made.

PJH, would you believe me if I told you I picked this gun up from Cabela's? I believe someone must have walked in and liquidated a loved one's collection as the store had several Lugers.

-Brandon

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I observed that the 06 mags have concentric rings and the same acceptance mark they have on the receiver (3 lobe crown or pentagon shape on late 06), the 08 variation has the pentagon C/M and most dated 1916 or 1917 has plain knops and pentagon C/M. All Imperial Navy mags have the serial number stamped in large letters like the mags of the DWM first issue military Lugers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What Klaus is referring to, I believe, is the early 3 Lobe Crown/M which was replaced by the Pentagon Crown/M at about 1906 Navy 4000a. the 2 photos below illustrate the difference.
Norm
Household hardware Wood Metal Auto part Gas
Circuit component Passive circuit component Font Automotive tire Electronic component

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're right, Norm...but I'm still looking!

Guy, glad to see you weighing in on this one! I will email you soon, as I think we are still planning to travel to France in late summer/early fall.

-Brandon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts