Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All - I have not been satisfied with my current manner of displaying pistols. I have been using wood pistol stands set on bookcase shelves. However, being constrained to shelves and stands is limiting, both in capacity and items other than pistols on stands that I might want to display. Accordingly, for me at least, I've come up with a better mouse trap using the mysteries of magnets (coated in PlastiDip so they do not scratch the finish of the pistols):

Before (current state of my second bookcase):
Bookcase Shelf Furniture Wood Shelving

After (current state of my first bookcase):
Product Control panel Wood Audio equipment Electronic component

Now, I can move the pistols around when I get another one, re-arrange for whatever reason, use magnetic hooks to hang holsters, daggers, put small cards / "plaques" (like on a trophy) adjacent to the pistols which provides an overview of information about it, etc.

I'm not yet done with the right side half, but all it lacks is running another set of led lights. After I finish that side, I'm on to the second bookcase to do the same. I also need to hang the rest of my flags, pistols, etc., but I thought this was close enough to share.

Best regards,

JGW

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Way to go!!!!!! I am all for display. You done good........ Seems many want to put whatever in 'safes'. Kinda tough to enjoy what you have when it is locked away in a 'safe'. Probably get some feed-back on this comment. I have a safe, got it off the railway car from 'Butch-Cassidy/Sundance Kid' movie. It's in the back bld. I need to find a new owner for it.

Some additional encouragement for 'display'.......kitchen and living room..

PJH

Wood Varnish Gas Hardwood Wood stain
Brown Picture frame Wood Rectangle Religious item
Wood Clock Longcase clock Folk instrument Rectangle

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Way to go!!!!!! I am all for display. You done good........ Seems many want to put whatever in 'safes'. Kinda tough to enjoy what you have when it is locked away in a 'safe'. Probably get some feed-back on this comment. I have a safe, got it off the railway car from 'Butch-Cassidy/Sundance Kid' movie. It's in the back bld. I need to find a new owner for it.

PJH

View attachment 660173 View attachment 660174 View attachment 660175

PJH

View attachment 660173 View attachment 660174 View attachment 660175
Very nice! I’d like to see a picture of the Butch and Sundance safe.

JGW

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JGW that's a really nice collection you have there! Are there any specific pieces you are keeping an eye out to add to the wall?
The list is long! My goal is to have one high condition example of each sidearm used by each of the Axis, Allied, and Neutral Powers in WW2, and that was actually issued (no commercial or police substitutes). However, I got sidetracked with CZ 27s and Beretta 1934s and 1935s. So for those, it’s also one of each major variant (about 60% accomplished).

Then I thought it would be interesting, for countries that were occupied by Axis powers, to have a pre-occupation example and an occupation example. Of course, when you do that, you start getting into interesting variations following occupation as the pressures of war increased on manufacturing (hence my several CZ 27s and Beretta 1934s and 1935s).

But, offhand: Vis Radom, Mauser 1934, Astra 400, Astra 900, C96, Webley Mk VI, SAFM 1935A, Tokarev TT 30/33, FN High Powers for each country that used those, S&W Victory in .38 S&W (lend lease marked), Guide Lamp FP-45 “Liberator”, Beretta 1934 Navy marked, one or two other Beretta 1934s and 1935s, Sauer und Sohn 38H, Star B, S&W K200, Colt 1917, S&W 1917, Steyr Hahn 1912, Star model of 1914, Unique 17, Unique 19, Unique Kriegsmodell, Walther PP, Walther PPK, Walther P. 38, Mauser P. 38, Lahti L-35, Grandpa Nambu, Papa Nambu, Baby Nambu, Type 14 Nambu (large trigger guard), Husqvarna M40, the various countries’ marked FN 1922, Armand Gavage, …..

I clearly have a long way to go!

JGW

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
JGW, sounds like you and I think alike! And you've already found out how easy it is to get sidetracked :)

How did you construct your set up? I actually have something similar and would like to do a similar display and would love any tips and tricks you may have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
JGW that is one hell of an admirable goal, and I think you're going to need a larger display area! A handful of the ones you listed immediately jumped out to me as being absent.

Have you fired your CZ 27s? I'm a big fan of Czech sidearms in general and have been eyeing the 27s for some time

As for the Nambu, isn't the smaller trigger guard Type 14 considered the "rarer" between the two? I have a bigger trigger guard on mine and just presumed they were the more common variant as they ramped up for WWII.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
JGW, sounds like you and I think alike! And you've already found out how easy it is to get sidetracked :)

How did you construct your set up? I actually have something similar and would like to do a similar display and would love any tips and tricks you may have.
Thank you. Glad to provide tips, and when I start on bookcase 2, I'm going to photograph / document from start to finish for anyone that may want to do the same but avoid some mistakes.

The description I posted earlier was so long it would be a guaranteed thread killer. I’ll write up what I did and make it more concise and easier to understand, then post.

In the meantime, the basic construction is sheet metal adhered to plywood with contact cement, then wrapped in the tan faux leather. High strength magnets were coated with PlastiDip so the finish on the pistols wouldn’t scratched. LED ribbon lights (dimmable and color temperature adjustable) were mounted along each side and the top.

JGW

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JGW that is one hell of an admirable goal, and I think you're going to need a larger display area! A handful of the ones you listed immediately jumped out to me as being absent.

Have you fired your CZ 27s? I'm a big fan of Czech sidearms in general and have been eyeing the 27s for some time

As for the Nambu, isn't the smaller trigger guard Type 14 considered the "rarer" between the two? I have a bigger trigger guard on mine and just presumed they were the more common variant as they ramped up for WWII.
Thank you! And after I out grow my converted bookcases, I'll get rid of those and build a display that is all completely wall mounted.

I haven't shot the CZ's yet, but I intend to do so. That is what they were made for after all!

As to the Nambu Type 14, I "think" the change to the large trigger guard occurred in Showa 12 or 13 (1937 or 1938), but I might be off by a year. They were produced up into 1945, though I don't know the numbers produced with large vs the small trigger guard. I assume there were many more produced with the large trigger guard. My Type 14 was a bring back from Peleliu with holster, lanyard, and strap, purchased from the vet's grandson (along with some patches and such). It is dated Showa 3.9 (September, 1928) and is one of my favorite pieces since I know it's history to a degree.

JGW

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you! And after I out grow my converted bookcases, I'll get rid of those and build a display that is all completely wall mounted.

I haven't shot the CZ's yet, but I intend to do so. That is what they were made for after all!

As to the Nambu Type 14, I "think" the change to the large trigger guard occurred in Showa 12 or 13 (1937 or 1938), but I might be off by a year. They were produced up into 1945, though I don't know the numbers produced with large vs the small trigger guard. I assume there were many more produced with the large trigger guard. My Type 14 was a bring back from Peleliu with holster, lanyard, and strap, purchased from the vet's grandson (along with some patches and such). It is dated Showa 3.9 (September, 1928) and is one of my favorite pieces since I know it's history to a degree.

JGW
Very cool that you know the history of yours! We inherited ours from my grandpa after he passed. It was wrapped in a bloody bringback Japanese flag and came with a little packet of WWII Japanese ammo, but he only fought in Korea and we couldn't find any bringback papers for the Nambu itself. He had a handful of friends who did serve in WWII so it wouldn't have been unexpected that one of them sold it to him at some point

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool that you know the history of yours! We inherited ours from my grandpa after he passed. It was wrapped in a bloody bringback Japanese flag and came with a little packet of WWII Japanese ammo, but he only fought in Korea and we couldn't find any bringback papers for the Nambu itself. He had a handful of friends who did serve in WWII so it wouldn't have been unexpected that one of them sold it to him at some point
That's pretty darned cool as well!

JGW

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Here is a peg board display......not very well liked and I dont blame the nay sayers on this. Was really handy when we moved into this bigger house, swore I would do better, but.......don't look like it now.......as I commented previously, I have aged out!!!!

And a paneling display......not much better than the peg board.

PJH
Wood Eyewear Display case Boat Shelving
Wood Architecture Interior design Building Table
Wood Art Font Eyewear Pattern

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a peg board display......not very well liked and I dont blame the nay sayers on this. Was really handy when we moved into this bigger house, swore I would do better, but.......don't look like it now.......as I commented previously, I have aged out!!!!

PJH
View attachment 660177 View attachment 660178 View attachment 660179
Nothing wrong with those at all! And a heck of a lot less expensive, much faster, and equally effective. I like themboth.

JGW

·
Registered
6,292 Posts

PJH
View attachment 660177 View attachment 660178 View attachment 660179
Anything new, still empressive as hell. I hope the wife is doing well !

Harry

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.