Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As ever, my passion remains the 1905 vest pocket. I hope to see as much as possible about this marvelous little pistol. No detail is too small to engage my interest. Still hoping to see confirmation (photos) of serial numbers above the 1,086,xxx range. I have never personally seen any, and I have recorded a lot of 1905s.

FN Browning Pistols is hands-down my favorite firearms reference text in a library of many excellent books. It has supplied me with countless hours of enjoyment. If there is a way to pre-order the upcoming edition, please let us know.
Thanks Bob! The new edition will have the information I collected and the expansion will be predicated on that info. I certainly keep all of this in consideration.
Thanks again!
Anthony

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
another thought, you mentioned the different styles of grips could you add photos in that section of each style and then also add in how to tell reproductions from the originals?
Yes, I am working on a photo guide on grips.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, while its not maybe needed for people such as myself who collect guns as collectibles, it may be helpful to reach out to others as a cross over to add a chapter on parts. what parts are inter-changeable ? such as the old style cam verses the new style cam on the 1935's are not, are the firing pins the same the same for the 1910 and 1922? can you switch out barrels of the the 1922 in 7.65 to .380? what about the parts in the baby browning to the FN1905/06? a section like that would be helpful to the shooting community and may make the book more appeasing to that crowd who really do not care about originality etc so much. but at the same time could help those of us who come across a gun and are trying to deterimine if its all original or has had parts added.
Okay, that can be done. Can you and others give me ideas on parts topics/questions? Fire away so I can include what is important. A list would be nice...

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
AWESOME....here are some of the questions I have run across over the years that others have asked and I have even wondered about because I couldn't answer them. these are the only ones I remember. I hope this helps.

1. FN 1910 to 1922
a. are firing pins interchangeable?
b. are springs interchangeable, such as recoil springs?
c. are magazines interchangeable?

2. FN1922 specific
a. are .32 cal barrels interchangeable with .380 barrels?
b. are magazines also interchangeable, so you can swap out a barrel as well as a magazine in a .32 to convert to a .380?

3. Baby Browning to FN1905/06
a. what parts are interchangeable such as magazines or barrels and springs?
b. are grips interchangeable from the baby to a FN1905?

4. FN1935
a. are barrels interchangeable? pre-war to post war, post war to Vietnam era.
b. are the slides interchangeable? guy wanted to put a pre-war tangent slide on a post war (1970) gun.
c. does a new safety work on a war-time model FN35? (that question I saw in the early 2000's so I assume he meant new stock part)
d. does a wartime Inglis High Power barrel fit a wartime Belgian High Power?
e. will an Inglis hammer fit a high power. (I forget the particulars of this one, but think he was asking about newer production of both like 1970 models)
f. will Inglis Chinese shoulder stock fit prewar High Power with stock slot?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
AWESOME....here are some of the questions I have run across over the years that others have asked and I have even wondered about because I couldn't answer them. these are the only ones I remember. I hope this helps.

1. FN 1910 to 1922
a. are firing pins interchangeable?
b. are springs interchangeable, such as recoil springs?
c. are magazines interchangeable?

2. FN1922 specific
a. are .32 cal barrels interchangeable with .380 barrels?
b. are magazines also interchangeable, so you can swap out a barrel as well as a magazine in a .32 to convert to a .380?

3. Baby Browning to FN1905/06
a. what parts are interchangeable such as magazines or barrels and springs?
b. are grips interchangeable from the baby to a FN1905?

4. FN1935
a. are barrels interchangeable? pre-war to post war, post war to Vietnam era.
b. are the slides interchangeable? guy wanted to put a pre-war tangent slide on a post war (1970) gun.
c. does a new safety work on a war-time model FN35? (that question I saw in the early 2000's so I assume he meant new stock part)
d. does a wartime Inglis High Power barrel fit a wartime Belgian High Power?
e. will an Inglis hammer fit a high power. (I forget the particulars of this one, but think he was asking about newer production of both like 1970 models)
f. will Inglis Chinese shoulder stock fit prewar High Power with stock slot?
Hi Sam,
Thank you for taking the time! This type of feedback is very helpful. So some of these are already answered in the current edition, that said, this indicates that I need to emphasize them more.

As far as question 3, none of the parts interchange, they are totally separate models. The rest I will be sure to discuss. I still need to think about the format but may do a "collector note" on each.

Thanks again. I am open to other suggestions...

Anthony

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Anthony
Outstanding news!
I am looking forward for the third edition.
Doing the best I can here to provide you with additional info on that presentation piece.
This quarentine however will delay my plans.
Douglas.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Anthony
Outstanding news!
I am looking forward for the third edition.
Doing the best I can here to provide you with additional info on that presentation piece.
This quarentine however will delay my plans.
Douglas.
Thanks Douglas, I also need to get with you on several topics but can not find enough hours in a day.
I am constantly overwhelmed and just look at this site for some R&R in between work...

Take care
Anthony

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just throwing some more input your way, although I'm sure it's mostly stuff you'd be including anyway. I'd like to see:

1) Any additional details on the FN 1910 pistols used in the Sarajevo assassination plot.

2) Updates on the surviving FN 1905 "Un million" presentation pistols (especially the one that was in peril at the hands of the Canadian government:mad:). Have any more surfaced?

3) Factory engraved pistols, the more the merrier!

4) Retailer/agent/distributor marked pistols - same thing, the more the better!

5) Would love to see full photos of early 1905s lacking the "depose" marking. What's the serial number of the gun whose slide marking is pictured on page 203 (exemplifying the earliest legend)?

I'm sure I'll think of more, I'll toss it out there as it comes to me. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
[QUOTE

1) Any additional details on the FN 1910 pistols used in the Sarajevo assassination plot.

2) Updates on the surviving FN 1905 "Un million" presentation pistols (especially the one that was in peril at the hands of the Canadian government:mad:). Have any more surfaced?

3) Factory engraved pistols, the more the merrier!

4) Retailer/agent/distributor marked pistols - same thing, the more the better!

5) Would love to see full photos of early 1905s lacking the "depose" marking. What's the serial number of the gun whose slide marking is pictured on page 203 (exemplifying the earliest legend)?

[/QUOTE]

1) I am not sure what more I can add, I could review the trial transcripts again and see if there is anything relevant. A poorly-researched book came out listed the actual serial number, but it is obvious that this was totally unfounded as it is even listed in the trials transcripts that the conspirators did not pay attention to the numbers.

2) No new "Un Million" pieces have surfaced

3) Yes, there will be more factory engraved pieces, but as you know they are not common. A whole expanded section on factory engraving is already done.

4) Yes, some more. Interesting bios have been added on some of the agents.

5) Good tip, I will add the serial number if I have it. I do not recall the contributor...

Please keep in mind that this is an expanded edition, not an entirely new book. Some of these topics are extremely difficult to find new information on. Thanks for the input!

Anthony

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A treasure trove of a folder with all of FN's and John Browning correspondence was recently found at FN. I have the privilege to use it for the book and obviously am thankful to the individuals involved.

I spent three days reading and it confirmed much information that was deducted from other memos and data, yet it also revealed so many details that were previously unknown and in question.

It is great to see how John M. and FN interacted in a casual cooperation and and how they had similar goals. Several of these documents will be in the new edition...

Anthony

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Anthony,
Can you tell us approx. when the 3rd edition will be available? Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Anthony,
Can you tell us approx. when the 3rd edition will be available? Thanks!
Tim
Hi Tim,

We have a tentative press time in December. I am racing forward to get it done by then, but it is unpredictable. I am about two weeks behind as is. If that plan works, we should have it available in late January.

We are planning on two editions, a standard with tough laminated cover and a genuine leather bound edition.

I am quite excited about this book as it is a departure from the previous editions, all color pages with a new format and lots of new information. It will most likely go north of 500 pages, I do not keep up with page count during production...

Working on it daily, almost 7-days a week, already logged more than 2,000 hours since November. The lock down helped with progress, some days I barely see daylight.

I still have many topics to tackle including contributors on this forum... that will be soon.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Anthony,
Please, check your email as I sent you some material through WeTransfer.
As far as I can see, you haven't downloaded it yet - I am only afraid is to have the link expired.
Besides that, I think you will find the material interesting.
Greetings,
Douglas.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
After working a tiring 10 months on layout, reworks, and additions I have come to the conclusion that there is no possible way of getting this project to print in late December as I originally planned.

The new info from FN has been amazing and a bit overwhelming, including folders with all of JMB's personal correspondence with FN (it is like traveling in time and being there, a fascinating experience). Also new wartime documents were found, many which will now be published for the first time.

State archives have also been accessible for the first time revealing massive amounts of new data. So much that it is a challenge deciding what to incorporate and what not.

That combined with the new color format has forced me to redo just about everything. In fact asides from texts, little carries over from the second edition as this is a totally new color layout.

To summarize, I am now aiming for springtime and will keep folks updated.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
692 Posts
Anticipating the new edition with great eagerness (and patience - I know well how things can take longer than expected).

I do have a question concerning the business side of things: how do you decide how big the printing run will be? The reason for my question is that the expanded 2nd edition is, and has been for some time, unavailable except at exorbitant prices on the used market. It shocks me to see what is being asked for copies! I feel fortunate to have purchased mine when they were in print.

Seems to me there will be extremely high demand for this book, and not only among the "old guard" collectors. Considering the historic increase of new gun owners/shooters in the last year and a half or so, a certain percentage will inevitably become interested in vintage/historical firearms.

Are you planning on a major increase in printing from the 2nd edition so availability will not become an issue?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Anticipating the new edition with great eagerness (and patience - I know well how things can take longer than expected).

I do have a question concerning the business side of things: how do you decide how big the printing run will be? The reason for my question is that the expanded 2nd edition is, and has been for some time, unavailable except at exorbitant prices on the used market. It shocks me to see what is being asked for copies! I feel fortunate to have purchased mine when they were in print.

Seems to me there will be extremely high demand for this book, and not only among the "old guard" collectors. Considering the historic increase of new gun owners/shooters in the last year and a half or so, a certain percentage will inevitably become interested in vintage/historical firearms.

Are you planning on a major increase in printing from the 2nd edition so availability will not become an issue?
Hi Bob,

I have a formula I follow based on many years of publishing books. My goal is always to have a book available for several years before selling out. This gives enough time to gather new data for an expanded edition. My goal is never to put out a book and just reprint it, it has to grow as more information becomes available. Expanded editions also offer the ability to make corrections.

This third edition will have a 30+% larger print run and I am looking at two variations, basic and luxury. The book has not been available for less than two years now. It was in the market for 5+ years, so nothing out of the ordinary. One of the great factors determining print increases are the amount of folks on my "notification" list.

Due to frequent abuses from book dealers, I have changed my business approach. This book will not be available from dealers, so no hoarding and other tricks (see link below to my rant) to fabricate price hikes. The outrageous prices are not just on my books, just about anything out-of-print is fair game for the opportunists.

I hope this answers your questions.

Anthony

My rant on dealers is here: Book Recommendations?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts