Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I'm a new poster, have lurked for several months. The knowledge you all have and share is fantastic and appreciated.

As part of the introductory process, I grew up in western PA (USA) and have lived in Georgia (USA) for past 20 yrs. Married to a wonderful woman who puts up with me and have two grown daughters.

I recently acquired a Walther Mod 4 and am trying to determine if it is a WWI German military accepted pistol or not. It has two marks/stampings.

I've studied many of the Walther Mod 4 postings and have learned a great deal. Especially useful was the post by Sauerfan in March 2006 titled "Military & Commercial proofing." My understanding of that post is that the crown over N proof was done for civil market (not military) pistols. So I assume that is why this pistol has no crown over N (or other civil proof marks). Is that corrrect?

However, I still have questions.

Please see the attached photos.
One mark appears to be a crown over A (with squiggly lines about top of the A), this on frame at trigger area. Is this a "Kaiser Proof" or "Imperial Acceptance" mark? What is the correct term for this: "proof" or "acceptance" mark?

The other mark is lightly stamped on the slide, appears to be a crown over something. What is that?

Also note the "J D" letters stamped on the trigger bar. I have not seen that referenced in past postings. Is that marking unusual?

Finally, much to my chagrin, after purchasing this and disassembly, I found the former owner's name and SSN etched on frame under grip. Any comments on that re: "de-valuation" of this pistol? I suppose the lesson learned here is to disassemble firearms before purchasing, although some sellers frown on that.

Any other observations or comments on this pistol would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for considering these questions.

Regards, Jim

Attachments

·
Banned
803 Posts
The mark you refer to is a military acceptance mark, so your pistol is military issue. The name scratched under the grip shouldn't hurt the value too much. What really greatly reduces the value of your Walther is that it has been heavily buffed and refinished. The markings have been almost eradicated by an incompetent and overzealous attempt at refinishing.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Jim, Aaron is correct in all respects. I think they did the grips too. Also, Different contractors were subbed out to help Walther make the no.4 pistols and yours was made by Walther. You can see th different contrctors (except walther) on the web behind the trigger. The historical significance is still with your pistol. nice find. (Are there any markings on the holster?) Thanks for showing, Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe and Aaron: thanks for the reply and observations.

Is the "heavily buffed" indicated by the "shallowness or lightness" of the slide stampings. Where they are less pronounced at top of the words? Also on the bottom parts of the serial number?

Which is the military acceptance mark, the one on slide or the "crown over A" on trigger guard area? Or both?

Joe: no other markings at all on this pistol.

No markings at all on the holster; additional photos posted. Also came with an unmarked magazine.

I checked the name "Mobley" and the SSN, not in the SSN Death Index. But first three digits indicate the number was issued in GA which is where I got this.

Thanks again. Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Jim, The figure with the "crown" indicates "imperial'' army acceptance. Where the lettering is shallow and light is a very good indication the pistol has been buffed and, and in this case, reblued. You can also see where they just blued over a rusty area. You have a nice rig.
Thanks for showing, Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts