Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pistol just came to me from a shop in Maryland where it was the last part of an old collection being sold off. The barrel is eleven inches and it is .30 caibre.

Download Attachment: MVC-015F.JPG
47.45KB

Download Attachment: MVC-016F.JPG
78.57KB

Download Attachment: MVC-017F.JPG
70.38KB

Download Attachment: MVC-018F.JPG
87.07KB

Download Attachment: MVC-019F.JPG
53.94KB

Download Attachment: MVC-020F.JPG
46.74KB

Download Attachment: MVC-021F.JPG
57.15KB

Download Attachment: MVC-023F.JPG
54.66KB

And finally, what took my breath away...

Download Attachment: MVC-022F.JPG
54.65KB

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
George,

Very nice gun, thanks for the pics. The c/N proofing pattern is non-standard and the same as the "1920 Parts Carbine" posted on this board recently http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3914 . It is difficult to tell, but it appears that the stamping dies might even be the same.

It is also interesting to note that the serial number puts this 1906 AE right smack in the middle of the BUG proof range, some 20,000 guns or more before the c/N proof was instituted. One would guess that this Luger was made from a 1906AE which was intended for sale but never delivered to the US, then modified and shipped much later.

--Dwight

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ed. Dwight, I believe you are correct, except one must account for the stock lug. About a year ago I sold a 1906 Commercial with stock lug. It's serial number was 27272.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
I can probably look up an example on-line, but the post 1920 "carbines", did they have stock lugs?

Geo, looks like a nice birthday present, mine is in October.

Ed

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
George,

I didn't catch the stock lug, and I retract my speculation. This Luger is within the range of 1906 Navy Commercials, so a stock lug is not puzzling from a production standpoint.

I note that this gun has been reblued, as can be seen by the polished safety area being blued over.

--Dwight

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dwight, I am confident that it was built from parts, renumbered and reblued as were so many of the 20's commercials. The only question in my mind is which side of the Atlantic? The workmanship tells me it was probably over there.

Ron, it came with a holster.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
One of Jan Still's books, 3rd Reich I think has an AE that was issued to the police and has a sear safety if memory serves me correct?

I wonder how many AE's were used and stayed in Germany?

And then that begs the question, when was the Eagle placed on the pistol? First, Last or sometime in between. If first, then why was it pulled from shipment, if last, then, it doesn't make as much sense?

Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed, I believe that the eagle was put on the chamber in Germany when the pistol was assembled in its current configuration in the twenties. We are all familiar with AE guns from this period in a number of different forms.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
sorry George, I meant the time frame of putting the gun together, i.e. in building one, wouldn't the roll stamp or however they did them be one of the last items after proofs, etc...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.