Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here and being uber cautious before I get my first Luger. May take a while before I'm comfortable as I want to get something that hasn't been modified in any way.

So here is my question. I looked over a Luger at the recent Amoskeag auction and it looked too good to be true. Has this been touched up in any way based on the photos or is it all original? I decided to pass on it as it just didn't feel right but it went for way over what I would have been prepared to pay. What say you?

German P.08 Luger Mauser Banner Police Contract Pistol

644966
644967
644968
644969
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
My feeling is there is a 60% chance the blue was removed and it was simply reblued really really well probably in the last 20 years. There is a 40% chance this is a mint luger kept in unbelievable condition since the war. The metal definitely has not been touched but that bluing is crisp and fresh looking to me. It has been very lightly handled and holster wear is minimal to nonexistent. Also, whomever broke it down did so with mathmatical precision everytime or it has only been broke down a couple times at most or that also leads to a reblue. Just a quick opinion with pictures provided. Others are way more experienced than me with these.

Summarion: I'd pass on it with pics. Would need to really look hard verifying everything with reference material. Oh and the magazine would need to be verified. I believe it should have a serial matching mag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
It a winner as far as I am concerned.....even though I feel aged out, I would have trouble turning this one down!!! . To belabor a point.....hows the bore.??

Most auction guns get over priced in the fees, so I usually pass on them for ones I can handle at a show.......however......this one is crisp enough to over look most of that nuisance.

PJH
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,450 Posts
meaning you bought it or didn't get it?

I was going to suggest you buy from a well known dealer and not an auction. If you don't know lugers and are picky / choosy, you shouldn't go the auction route
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
meaning you bought it or didn't get it?

I was going to suggest you buy from a well known dealer and not an auction. If you don't know lugers and are picky / choosy, you shouldn't go the auction route
No I didn't even bid, that is what someone ended up paying for it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,450 Posts
ok, then go with my second advice
 

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
Like PJ I think this one is correct and IMO went for a low price. Somebody got a really nice pistol at a really nice price...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Bluebanana don’t kick yourself for passing on that Luger. If something didn’t look right to you then you did the smart thing. Wait till you get more knowledge under your belt and get a chance to look at more pistols in person. It might have been an awesome Luger and someone might have gotten a great deal but the timing wasn’t right for you. Better to wait till your a hundred percent sure than get something that is wrong and have buyers remorse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,124 Posts
Investment contains some risk. Relatively speaking, the risk in this Luger is low. But if missed, just wait next opportunity. There are numerous opportunities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not upset as it went for more than I was prepared to pay for my first Luger. Just doing the research on these is useful at this stage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,124 Posts
Military pistol in mint shape is harder to come than commercial ones. But the main obstacle is the cost, there are some unissued. I got two recently, not Luger though, primary due to Luger is hot so there was competition.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
meaning you bought it or didn't get it?

I was going to suggest you buy from a well known dealer and not an auction. If you don't know lugers and are picky / choosy, you shouldn't go the auction route
So besides Simpson Ltd., what are some of the well known dealers you could point me to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,124 Posts
So besides Simpson Ltd., what are some of the well known dealers you could point me to?
Besides Simpson, there are some C & R dealers. Try legacy-collectibles.com, pre98.com, handgunsoftheworld.com, etc.

For auctions, search proxibid.com and auctionzip.com frequently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not upset as it went for more than I was prepared to pay for my first Luger. Just doing the research on these is useful at this stage.
Agreed first Luger. A Mauser banner! Nice. $2000.00 to $16000.00. Simpson
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top