Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Police Luger marked but no police sear safety? Are there many (any) like this?
For unissued gun, that makes sense. There are some near mint pistols, usually owners do not trade them until they quit. Big auction houses attract those sellers. But this owner only got 1700 (?) for this one,,, that is the auction risk. He had some great items, hopefully, accumulated sum is OK.

·
Registered
81 Posts
But this owner only got 1700 (?) for this one,,, that is the auction risk. He had some great items, hopefully, accumulated sum is OK.
Buying guns online is risky, but hopefully the rewards more than compensate.

One interesting thing about this gun, if you read the fine print at the very end of the auction description.

"[Vincent Coniglio Collection]"

Meaning, this pistol came from Vincent Coniglio's collection. Who is this fellow? I did not know until I googled him.

Turns out he is a published author on militaria! So it's quite possible that this pistol was perfectly, accurately described. Who knows. But if I were a bidder, and saw that the consignor was a collector, that would reassure me.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Vincent had many nice items. Amoskeag put them into multiple sessions. Last year, there were a mint Hungarian Tokarev and a super excellent Japanese NCO sword, I saw them, but those two went out of my reach. I visited this session as well, but didn't pay much attention due to I was in "cash collecting" mode, missed this one. But who knows, if compete with other bidders, the price would go higher.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I knew Vince, mainly from buying and selling US military knives. I miss seeing and talking with him.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
There is always a timing issue - the time that a gun appears is important. I setup an account to cover C&R expense back a few years ago. It brings in some interest and dividends, the plan is to put money earned into guns. The plan is sound, but it has no flexibility on amount and timing. Accumulate a year and spend at the end of the year,,, but great items do not have to appear in that time frame...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Police Luger marked but no police sear safety? Are there many (any) like this?
The seller‘s text said that the gun was drilled for the safety, but it was not installed. That‘s actually more common than not. It‘s not necessarily any indication of the gun being unissued.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts