Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Ed ---- I have a very nice 1936 all matching luger (I estimate to be 98 - 99 %) including a matching aluminum bottom mag. and a very nice original1936 dated holster. I'll post some photos in a day or two. In the mean time are you aware of a forum where WWII P.38 pistols and WWII holsters are discussed ?? I have several P.38's and I'd like to discuss them with others who are interested in the same things.. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
1936 Mausers are considered the finest build, by Mauser, during the Nazi/WW2 era...hands down...

Edward
Thank you for the information Ed. Jerry mentioned that they were more sought after by collectors and now I know of another reason why. I was quite impressed just taking the slide off for the first time, it hade sort of a hydraulic feel to it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ed ---- I have a very nice 1936 all matching luger (I estimate to be 98 - 99 %) including a matching aluminum bottom mag. and a very nice original1936 dated holster. I'll post some photos in a day or two. In the mean time are you aware of a forum where WWII P.38 pistols and WWII holsters are discussed ?? I have several P.38's and I'd like to discuss them with others who are interested in the same things.. Thanks.
Yes...I am aware of the Walther Forum...but have never posted...I own five various P.38's...all are Walther or Mauser manufacture...one ac/42 at 97%, all the rest are 98+% to nearly mint condition...I have reverted back to mostly Parabellums...mostly WW2 era Mausers and particular early pre - war DWM Imperial examples...
I also own two 1936 Mausers, one w/a matching magazine...

Edward

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thank you for the information Ed. Jerry mentioned that they were more sought after by collectors and now I know of another reason why. I was quite impressed just taking the slide off for the first time, it hade sort of a hydraul feel to it.
Yes...The 1936 build was Mauser's "Magnum Opus"...their finest build of the WW2 era...not just by me, but MANY collectors...it seems after the 1936 build, the "acceleration" to amp up production for the "out - the - door" status, was in play...the fit was still there, the hand - fitted craftsmanship was still there, but cosmetically, the pistol was turned into a "work horse" by the third/fourth month of 1937...though I love all the yearly builds, by Mauser...I still do not own a 1939 example, just haven't found "her" yet...someday I will, and I have looked for a long time now...time to end the search, hopefully...😏

(Been looking for just the right 1939 Mauser since 1985)

Edward

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,300 Posts
Mauser was at the top of their game when producing the 1936 S/42. They can be absolutely beautiful! The only Mauser variation that I can think of that may edge it out is the 1940 Commercial Banner with the strawed parts. They were made to impress.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes...The 1936 build was Mauser's "Magnum Opus"...their finest build of the WW2 era...not just by me, but MANY collectors...it seems after the 1936 build, the "acceleration" to amp up production for the "out - the - door" status, was in play...the fit was still there, the hand - fitted craftsmanship was still there, but cosmetically, the pistol was turned into a "work horse" by the third/fourth month of 1937...though I love all the yearly builds, by Mauser...I still do not own a 1939 example, just haven't found "her" yet...someday I will, and I have looked for a long time now...time to end the search, hopefully...😏

Edward
End the search? Are we going to see some new pics from you?😏

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mauser was at the top of their game when producing the 1936 S/42. They can be absolutely beautiful! The only Mauser variation that I can think of that may edge it out is the 1940 Commercial Banner with the strawed parts. They were made to impress.
Tom...the ONLY reason I would take the rust-blued/strawed 1936 over the salt - blued 1940 Commercial Banner would be because the '36 S/42 is standard military issue, gussied up as is...Commercial Lugers are purposely made to be "lookers" to "attract"... more cash flow...but, a standard military - issue to look as fine, as is issued, is an officer's sidearm to admire/envy...but I also love Mauser Banners...especially the latter 7 - line Banners...beautiful and elegant...yeah, I think that's right...😎👍

·
Registered
885 Posts
End the search? Are we going to see some new pics from you?😏
Sure...would you like to see a really beautiful 1936 Mauser this weekend...???

I will take photos of my finest 1936...98+%...watch for it this weekend...I hope to have some decent natural light this weekend...(your 1936 is a beauty...nice pick up from Legacy...I remember seeing this one for sale...but I already own two 1936 Mausers, as I previously mentioned earlier in this thread)...

Edward

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think 1940 Commercial Banners were rusted blued except for the salt blued barrels and the strawed small parts.
Really...? The upper and the frame were rust-blued...? This I did not know...just assumed it was salt - blued, because of the time frame...shows I do not know much about the Commercial Series...I will check my copy of "The Mauser Parabellum" this weekend to look at the information on these Banners...👍

Edward

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Good, your wife is encouraging your Love of Lugers……nice pick and I too like the 1936 Lugers……They are in many ways a piece of art…..bluing and straying.
Thanks for showing,
Joe

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Yes...The 1936 build was Mauser's "Magnum Opus"...their finest build of the WW2 era...not just by me, but MANY collectors...it seems after the 1936 build, the "acceleration" to ramp up production for the "out - the - door" status, was in play...the fit was still there, the hand - fitted craftsmanship was still there, but cosmetically, the pistol was turned into a "work horse" by the third/fourth month of 1937...though I love all the yearly builds, by Mauser...I still do not own a 1939 example, just haven't found "her" yet...someday I will, and I have looked for a long time now...time to end the search, hopefully...😏

Edward
Ed ---- I agree with you that the S/42 1936 Mauser lugers are the CREAM of the crop. I rate mine at about the top of all my lugers and with its very nice1936 dated holster it's a prize. I believe it and my 1935 "G" date luger with its holster stamped with the luger's serial number on the back are a couple prize pieces of my luger accumulation. I have a pretty decent 1939 luger that has about 90% of the original finish remaining and is all matching except for the mag's. number. I could post some photos of these pieces next week if you might care to see them. We are in the middle of putting down a new floor in the house right now so things are a bit in a mess here.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Yes...I am aware of the Walther Forum...but have never posted...I own five various P.38's...all are Walther or Mauser manufacture...one ac/42 at 97%, all the rest are 98+% to nearly mint condition...I have reverted back to mostly Parabellums...mostly WW2 era Mausers and particular early pre - war DWM Imperial examples...
I also own two 1936 Mausers, one w/a matching magazine...

Edward
Ed ---- Do you know how I might be able to reach the forum for P .38's?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ed ---- Do you know how I might be able to reach the forum for P .38's?
Since the day I registered on the Walther Forums, it has been a heavy lift...trying to post was difficult...not a smooth forum...but since I have put a (permanent) hold on any further P.38 acquisitions, including Walther PP's, I do not really miss it...Having five assorted Walther and Mauser manufactured P.38's, plus about the same in PP's, I am content to simply continue collecting pre - war DWM Imperials and WW2 - era Mausers...Having my own business and also working a regular full - time job, leaves me little time for this "hobby", that is also an investment, that I love so much...I plan on my children receiving the windfall of my hobby, and that makes me very happy...it is in giving, that we receive...especially for family, even more so, the children of that family...

Edward

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very impressive. I've got my byf 1941 rig together and am very pleased with it. Then I picked up a minty byf P38 and should have the rig complete by next week. Next up, probably, will be a Mauser 36... My wallet is already cringing...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts