Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

New purchase of a Mauser Luger from 1936

3K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Ziggyman 
#1 ·
I didn’t want my Imperial/Reichswehr to be lonesome so I just purchased a 1936 Mauser to keep it company.
White Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Material property Gun barrel Gun accessory

Gadget Jewellery Audio equipment Mobile phone Cable

Gas Metal Titanium Electric blue Bicycle part

Metal Rim Machine Composite material Carbon

Gadget Cylinder Machine Font Engineering

Air gun Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Trigger

White Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

Tool Composite material Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

See less See more
#5 ·
Snood ----- A beautiful specimen of the 1936 glory days of the Nazi era. You have a heirloom that should be passed on to future generations in your family. As time goes by that piece can only greatly increase in value. I too have a 1936 Luger in much the same condition as yours, I figure it is easily 97 to 98 % original, all numbers match including the aluminum bottom magazine. And to top it off a 1936 dated original black leather holster in very good condition came with the Luger. I've had this piece almost 40 years, have only fired it once for function test with no problems. I've always tried to pick up original luger holsters dated the same as the lugers inside them. So far I've been successful doing so with five of the 15 lugers in my accumulation.

#6 ·
Thanks Kieth, sounds like you have a wonderful collection there. Feel free to send some pics this way!
My nephew will be retiring soon as a warrant officer and my collection will end up with him one day, for now I have a amazing piece of history to add to my collection. I acquired a DWM 1918/1920 Imperial double date that came with a 1936 Karl Bucher holster so that should go nicely with the Mauser. I’m trying to round up a period correct magazine and holster for the DWM at this point and then save up for my next purchase. I’d like to end up with a Luger from each era when I finish. Happy collecting!
First Luger DWM 1918/1920 PO8

#14 ·
I am sure that some here have noticed that the machining at the rear of the barrel bulge below the front site changes angles somewhere in 1936. One I have has the same angle as G, pretty obvious why, the other has the more sloping angle as this one exhibits..

6723 f and 3622 n

PJH

#17 ·
Snood ----- A BEAUTIFUL 1936 Luger. It appears pristine in every angle. You are very fortunate to add that to your collection. Your nephew will have some very valuable pieces when you turn them over to him. Does the number on the aluminum mag bottom match the pistol's serial number? If so that should really add much value to your luger. Thanks for showing your piece. I believe this forum is the most informative information source I've run across.

I have a 1936 dated luger with a matching mag. and a very nice original holster dated 1936 as well. My luger looks very much like yours.

#18 ·
Snood ----- A BEAUTIFUL 1936 Luger. It appears pristine in every angle. You are very fortunate to add that to your collection. Your nephew will have some very valuable pieces when you turn them over to him. Does the number on the aluminum mag bottom match the pistol's serial number? If so that should really add much value to your luger. Thanks for showing your piece. I believe this forum is the most informative information source I've run across.

I have a 1936 dated luger with a matching mag. and a very nice original holster dated 1936 as well. My luger looks very much like yours.
Unfortunately the magazine doesn’t match but that provides a chance to hunt one down 😂. Yes, the information that is available here is absolutely amazing as are the members I’ve interacted with. There’s nothing like holding a piece of history and it lead my wife to comment that “we need to buy a gun safe”! The only drawback to collecting lugers is that it’s more expensive than drugs.

Have a great weekend!

#22 ·
Ed ---- I have a very nice 1936 all matching luger (I estimate to be 98 - 99 %) including a matching aluminum bottom mag. and a very nice original1936 dated holster. I'll post some photos in a day or two. In the mean time are you aware of a forum where WWII P.38 pistols and WWII holsters are discussed ?? I have several P.38's and I'd like to discuss them with others who are interested in the same things.. Thanks.

#24 · (Edited)
Yes...I am aware of the Walther Forum...but have never posted...I own five various P.38's...all are Walther or Mauser manufacture...one ac/42 at 97%, all the rest are 98+% to nearly mint condition...I have reverted back to mostly Parabellums...mostly WW2 era Mausers and particular early pre - war DWM Imperial examples...
I also own two 1936 Mausers, one w/a matching magazine...

Edward

#28 ·
Tom...the ONLY reason I would take the rust-blued/strawed 1936 over the salt - blued 1940 Commercial Banner would be because the '36 S/42 is standard military issue, gussied up as is...Commercial Lugers are purposely made to be "lookers" to "attract"... more cash flow...but, a standard military - issue to look as fine, as is issued, is an officer's sidearm to admire/envy...but I also love Mauser Banners...especially the latter 7 - line Banners...beautiful and elegant...yeah, I think that's right...😎👍

#31 ·
Really...? The upper and the frame were rust-blued...? This I did not know...just assumed it was salt - blued, because of the time frame...shows I do not know much about the Commercial Series...I will check my copy of "The Mauser Parabellum" this weekend to look at the information on these Banners...👍

Edward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.