Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a P-08 and would be interested in finding more information on this. Date 1920. ser# 2048 DMW all parts match including magazine, fully operational. 90% finish blue, slight holster wear. Barrel & front sight alignment marks are dead on. 90-95% on grip panel checkering. Barrel lands are very crisp, no pitting visible, 3 vague marks on right side of receiver. Mark on bottom of barrel "b" 8)82. Front grip strap marked S.D VI X out 1 35. X out R.
Thank you

·
Administrator
15,075 Posts
Tom, a 1920 can mean two things. A date or a property (Reichswehr) marking.

It is probably marked DWM, the manufacturer, and the markings on the front grip strap can be either unit markings or police markings. Does it have a "sear" safety on it?

A sear safety would look like this, the sear safety is on the top, without on the bottom:

Download Attachment: SearSafe no sear safe.jpg
127.01KB

·
Administrator
15,075 Posts
Tom, a 1920 can mean two things. A date or a property (Reichswehr) marking.

It is probably marked DWM, the manufacturer, and the markings on the front grip strap can be either unit markings or police markings. Does it have a "sear" safety on it?

A sear safety would look like this, the sear safety is on the top, without on the bottom:

Download Attachment: SearSafe no sear safe.jpg
127.01KB

·
Administrator
15,075 Posts
aaaahhhh, my type of gun Tom!

So, the 1920 is probably a Property stamping, but could be a date stamp also. The sear safety indicates continued usage during the Nazi era as 1933 they were required to place a sear safety onto Police guns. sometimes there will be a magazine safety and sometimes there won't be.

Can you provide pictures or scans? I can help post them if you'd like.

Any story on how it was aquired or from whom you aquired it from?

The markings are probably police, I don't have my books, they are in Colorado and I'm in WA.

Look under the Weimar guns section and compare your proof / acceptance markings with a few of the 1920 and 1921 made guns.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ed, My father in law was in Germany as an MP during and for a short while after WWII, he recently pass away and I found a box containing two guns [1] this P-08 and [2] a P-38, he never discussed much about his service years so I don't have any other information on these guns. A friend of mine suggested that I post the P-08 on WWW.GUNBROKER.COM the posting started today and it is item #15675724. The pictures are not of the best contrast. The P-38 has a serial of 1920, steel frame, Black grooved plastic grip panels,round firing pin, 5" barrel, fixed sights,Military mark on right side slide, left side P-38, cyq, [serial] 1920 N any info ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.