Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Steyr Hahn. It came without the recoil spring retainer. Two questions:

I've spent days looking through different websites for an original or reproduction recoil spring retainer. Any leads where I may find one?

I haven't shot it yet. I'm waiting for Buffalo Arms to get some 9mm Steyr in stock. Does the recoil spring/recoil spring cap rest on the takedown wedge or the recoil spring retainer? I can't exactly make out if the legs from the recoil spring retainer go past the wedge or not.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I don't know if this answers your question, all the pics I've seen have the cap to the spring flush with the end of the slide/frame.

G2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gunnertwo. Based on the Numrich parts diagram below, it appears that the spring cap rides against the wedge. Unless the wedge is taken out for a field strip...then it appears that the recoil spring retainer holds it in place until the wedge is re-inserted.

Without beating around the bush, I guess my question is if the Steyr Hahn can be fired without the recoil spring retainer in place. My guess is that it can but the person I bought it from was uncertain. I don't want to damage the handgun (wedge in particular), but I would like to shoot it at some point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one that the retainer cap/clip doesnt really stay in the pistol very well as it is. It isnt damaged and I havent a clue why. I just pop it in for a keeping the gun whole. However in saying that, the clips only real purpose is to keep the recoil spring in the frame so you can remove the wedge for disassembly. The wedge sits inside of those ears however thats just for clearance reasons, the cap itself is held in with a small tab at the top that snaps into a hole in the frame. Nothing that has anything to do with the actual function of firing the pistol.
I have fired that particular pistol numerous times without..mainly cause the recoil caused it to pop out.

When I need to disassemble that particular pistol, I usually will push the wedge out halfway and then put a small punch to chase the wedge out the rest of the way. Frees up my hand to put in front of the hole to keep spring from launching out when I back the punch out slowly. Reassembly is a little bit tricky though. I put barrel and slide back on then I put recoil spring in hole and use another punch to compress it far enough for me to start the wedge in and fully seat it.

Please note this is not the normal way to assemble and disassemble the gun. However before I found a spring retainer for this particular pistol this was the method I used to do it.
I know this was long winded and more then you asked for, but I figured if You were gonna fire it you may wanna do a field strip of it after or just bore snake it and be done Lol.

There is a small chance I have a spare one...i have acquired spare parts over the years mainly from luck and generosity of others on this site and other locations. I have 8 of the Steyrs I wanna be able to keep running lol. Unless someone buys one just to strip for parts and sell there is very little chance of finding any spare parts anywhere. Just a sad fact, I hate seeing the guns bought up and then stripped, but its the only way I guess to keep others running.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Apart from the tab it looks fairly straightforward to reproduce. How much pressure is the tab under?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Apart from the tab it looks fairly straightforward to reproduce. How much pressure is the tab under?
Not sure the exact number, but it doesnt take much effort to push the top part of where it catches down to remove it. 5lbs or less if I had to throw a number out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I posted this I solved my problem temporarily the way any good collector would. I bought another one.

Wood Air gun Grey Gun barrel Gas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My new Chilean Steyr Hahn is in fair shape. The price was right and it has a recoil spring retainer. At the gun range, I swap the retainer out between handguns so I can shoot them both.

Tool Wood Gun accessory Auto part Metal

Even though there is little pressure (if any) from the recoil spring to the recoil spring retainer, I believe the gun was designed to shoot with it in place therefore that’s the configuration I use when I shoot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one that the retainer cap/clip doesnt really stay in the pistol very well as it is. It isnt damaged and I havent a clue why. I just pop it in for a keeping the gun whole. However in saying that, the clips only real purpose is to keep the recoil spring in the frame so you can remove the wedge for disassembly. The wedge sits inside of those ears however thats just for clearance reasons, the cap itself is held in with a small tab at the top that snaps into a hole in the frame. Nothing that has anything to do with the actual function of firing the pistol.
I have fired that particular pistol numerous times without..mainly cause the recoil caused it to pop out.

When I need to disassemble that particular pistol, I usually will push the wedge out halfway and then put a small punch to chase the wedge out the rest of the way. Frees up my hand to put in front of the hole to keep spring from launching out when I back the punch out slowly. Reassembly is a little bit tricky though. I put barrel and slide back on then I put recoil spring in hole and use another punch to compress it far enough for me to start the wedge in and fully seat it.

Please note this is not the normal way to assemble and disassemble the gun. However before I found a spring retainer for this particular pistol this was the method I used to do it.
I know this was long winded and more then you asked for, but I figured if You were gonna fire it you may wanna do a field strip of it after or just bore snake it and be done Lol.

There is a small chance I have a spare one...i have acquired spare parts over the years mainly from luck and generosity of others on this site and other locations. I have 8 of the Steyrs I wanna be able to keep running lol. Unless someone buys one just to strip for parts and sell there is very little chance of finding any spare parts anywhere. Just a sad fact, I hate seeing the guns bought up and then stripped, but its the only way I guess to keep others running.

SteyrHahnFan: if you do have one in your collection of parts, I would love to make my set complete. I’m at [email protected].

I’m also toying with the idea of taking one to a local parts fabrication shop to see if they can copy and produce a replica recoil spring retainer. With only one in my possession, I’m worried about loss or breakage if I hand it out. If I choose to have one made, I’ll see if there is a need for more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts