Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through several posts, it seems that many of the Imperial pistols were captured during WW2. Did most if not all Pre-Nazi German military lugers used in WW2? Were they re-stamped if so?

Forgive me if this is too basic a question :)

alf

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Yes, thousands of lugers came back here after WW1, thousands more were sold during the 1920's. Thousands more were kept in storage and also made during the weimar era.

Some were restamped, some were not. Spend some time in the Weimar section and read about the guns reissued, and also buy the book, "Weimar Lugers" from Jan Still, he has it on the trader board, and it is available right now for buy it now on e-bay by him.

Ed

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nice topic.

I've always found it particularly interesting that the C96 was used in WW2. It was designed in the century
previous to WW2, was one of the very first attempts at making a semi-auto pistol, and it is such a unique configuration/design. It survived as an effective weapon even among the much more advanced and sophisticated pistols developed for WW2, ie. P38, etc.

Here's photo of some WW2 usage of the C96:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos/FV-Mauser-C96-Red-9-1920-Reichswehr-6x100px.jpg

WW1 revolvers also were used in WW2, ie. the Nagant gas seal, and the Italian Bodeo M1889.

Pancho

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
If you are trying to have a rep piece, than any WW1, Weimar or Nazi era "luger" will do, but if it was me and I have a choice, I'd buy a 1935 or newer "nazi" era pistol.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.