Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought this locally and was told it was danish variant. any info on it appreciated serial number has caused some issues. it appears one with the same # was stolen. i received a letter from the local police, fbi and interpol indicating this is not the stolen gun they have listed. while this makes for interesting conversation, it could be a problem. anyway 5257 all matching, no import marks, plum patina, gesichert under safety in highest position.
here are some pix.

Download Attachment: MVC-001S.JPG
32.03 KB

Download Attachment: MVC-008S.JPG
35.29 KB

Download Attachment: MVC-006S.JPG
44.73 KB

Download Attachment: MVC-005S.JPG
46.47 KB

Download Attachment: MVC-007S.JPG
35.14 KB

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The problem with lugers is that they made them in groups of 10k, so there are many with seemingly the same serial number. Every 10k got a new suffix. So, 1 - 9999, then 1a - 9999a, then 1b, etc.
In reality, your serial number / gun is;

DWM, made in 1915, serial number 5257 (if no suffix letter under the number), 3 7/8th or whatever the barrel length is Luger.

The bases of your mags appear to be plastic, I used to have one like that, it was an aftermarket, although the bodys look old.

As you said, the safety is marked gesichert.

Ed

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The problem with lugers is that they made them in groups of 10k, so there are many with seemingly the same serial number. Every 10k got a new suffix. So, 1 - 9999, then 1a - 9999a, then 1b, etc.
In reality, your serial number / gun is;

DWM, made in 1915, serial number 5257 (if no suffix letter under the number), 3 7/8th or whatever the barrel length is Luger.

The bases of your mags appear to be plastic, I used to have one like that, it was an aftermarket, although the bodys look old.

As you said, the safety is marked gesichert.

Ed

· Registered
2,579 Posts
Probasco

Serial numbers on lugers for the uninformed are definetly a problem, had this issue at a gun show years ago where a fellow kept coming back to my table to look at my display.

He finally mustered the courage to ask me about an LPo8 which was the same year and serial as one that was stolen from his fathers residence years ago.

After explaining the many variants of lugers and serial numbering of luger manufacturing he went away shaking his head in embarrasement, fortunately it did not involve the government authorities as yours did but paperwork in order and one should not have this problem.

All in all I gave the man credit for looking for his dad's luger at the shows as you never know what shows up.

So in short protect your purchases.

As to the danish variant of your luger if similar to the US M1 Garand many firearms were reworked by the danes and put into post war service.This could account for the irregular magazine bottoms and the smooth grips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, i think the guy who sold it to me didnt know what it is. i see nothing that indicates danish unless the three crowns are danish. is it normal for when firing (dry) for it to be a dull thud rather than a sharp click? would new springs be the answer? thanks for the welcome. i have been collecting for about three years and have 70+ weapons, but this is my first luger as they always demand a fair price. this one was under $500 so i decided it was time. i am also looking for a break down manual. thanks for your help guys

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
It is hard on a gun to dry fire, but each gun sounds different to me when "dry firing"...

The three crowns are imperial proof and acceptance markigns by the germans.

The price was decent for a "shooter" gun, one you plan on shooting. The grips on yours are not standard, I assume either swapped out or sanded down?

Your side plate must be from a different gun also, as its color is totally different?

On a matching gun, the last two of the serial are on many of the parts, the breechblock, the firing pin, the side plate, etc.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the patina plum is more evident in lighting situations, it appears all the parts are matching, i found 5 , "57" (last digits) on different areas.
i looked closer at the crowns and there is a fancy "d" under each crown, does that help?

· Gold Bullet Member
414 Posts
Probasco,
As stated by ED, the three Crown over gothic letters in picture 4 are Imperial era German Army acceptance stamps followed by a German Army Eagle test proof mark utilized by DWM and I believe the letter is an S but I could be wrong.
It appears that there is a suffix in picture 4 under the serial number but I can't positively say what it is. It looks like a b in the picture. When stating the serial number you should include the letter suffix.
Is there a year stamped on the top of the chamber e.g. 1914, 1915??????????
The Crown over letter marks on the piece were used in 1914, 1915 and possibly longer. More knowledgeable folks can provide the data on acceptance mark dates.
Nice looking piece for less than $500. Enjoy it.
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.