Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this a while back on auction, thinking it was a 1940 Mauser P.08 with mismatched toggle, but with a holster, tool, and 4 mags, two of which I new were after market, but 2 "maybe" original.

Seemed ok at the time; however, when it arrived it was a modified holster, re-barreled 1940, and all after market mags.

So I just left it at the shop to sell on. Brought it home last week to take pictures to offer it as a shooter, and discovered the E/PS markings which appear to be Norwegian in origin. The holster is the common Norwegian conversion, and the tool is a Norwegian tool' so I'm convinced that it is likely on of the imported rigs from Norway sold 25 years ago or so. Today while looking at it again, I noticed small,
NAC or Navy Arms Co. import marking. So I'm pretty sure it is "Norwegian" captured and used, finally sold into the US trade a surplus, before 1996 I reckon.

I did test fire it last week and it works well, without fault- and the bore is like new.

Below are pictures of the pistol, holster, and tool. Notice the milling marks on the screwdriver part of the tool, a key feature of the Norwegian produced tool(thanks to David Lindsay for this info).

The pistol is largely matching by the last two "72" digits, however the safety bar, middle and rear toggle are "54", the breech block is "87" as is the extractor. Interestingly the bottom of the chamber has an "87" stamped, this may be a co-incidence, but also may be stamped to keep the toggle train associated with the receiver. The grips have no number, are well made, and fit well, but may be later replacements. The pistol appears to have been refinished when re-barreled(except for the barrel itself).

Should anyone with a Norwegian used luger have a similar mismatch and time to check the marking on the bottom of the receiver it would be interesting to confirm it intentional or co-incidental.

Thanks for looking.

As always more info, comments, observations are welcome.

Attachments

· Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don, I think in Bender he calls these ridges in the thumb ledge of your tool East German?
That is correct, EG tools have these grooves also; I later had the tool expert look at it and he confirmed Norwegian because of the circular tool marks on the screwdriver point.

· Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...these were made in East Germany for the Norwegians? Confused.
No, not made in EG, made in Norway as replacements was my understanding; they only share the characteristic of the lines.
Perhaps the Norwegians copied a EG tool; it is a good idea, gives a little better grip.

I had ID'd it as EG, but was told it was Norway.

I do believe they are described in one of the books in a separate tool section, but CRS strikes again and I do not remember which book!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.