Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Odd marking on 1917." V.P.S."

4K views 34 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron Smith 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever seen this sort of marking on an Imperial? Possibly someone's initials? Or an official marking?

Ron

Download Attachment: VPS luger.jpg
57.76 KB

See less See more
#4 ·
I always get markings wrong - so don´t take my word for this:

"V" is usually either:-
- Five,
- Versuchs- (trials) or
- Veterinär (veterinary).

But if this is a police Luger it would most likely be Verkehrs- (transport or road traffic)
"P.S." is the standard Saxony police stamp.

#13 ·
Patrick,

There is some consternation regarding the V.P.S. meaning Verkehrspolizei. The only relation to this are Lugers marked P.T.V. There must be some other explanation. I have checked every referrence that I can find, to no avail. I have received the Luger. Photos and discription have been posted in this section.

Thanks, Ron

#14 ·
quote:Originally posted by Ron Smith

Patrick,

There is some consternation regarding the V.P.S. meaning Verkehrspolizei. The only relation to this are Lugers marked P.T.V. There must be some other explanation. I have checked every referrence that I can find, to no avail. I have received the Luger. Photos and discription have been posted in this section.

Thanks, Ron
Ron,
here is my explanation. There were no "Traffic Cops" in the early 20's in Saxony or any other state(no Autobahn and no VW's, only dung-waggons).
But "technical" centurias (Hundertschaften) were formed for the motor pools. The motor pool of the Landes-Polizei Sachsen was located in Dresden and serviced by one Hundertschaft.
Incidentally, every reported Sax. unit mark so far started out with "S.P." or "S.L." and not with "P.S."

A Hundertschaft in the state of Wuerttemberg was called "Polizei-Schar" and had a strenght of 120-180 officers and men. One "Polizei-Verkehrs-Kraftwagen-Schar" and one Pol.Sd.Wg.(Pz.Kw.)Schar (Police- Armored-Vehicle-Centuria), were stationed in the district of Stuttgart.

IMO, "V.P.S." stands for Verkehrs(Kraftwagen)-Polizei-Schar of Wuerttemberg.

Source : Die kasernierte Polizei 1920-1932 in Feldgrau

Note. I could come up with several Weimar or Imperial IDs but don't wanna elaborate w/o docs.

Klaus

#17 ·
quote:Originally posted by Ron Smith

Klaus my friend. Thank you very much. This is great! Again I owe you. If I can ever repay you, or do you any favor at all. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Again, thank you very much! Ron
Ron,
I'm gonna take you up for some "Hefeweize" at the next gun show in Reno and this time I'm trying not to get lost in the elevator at Hiltons.

Klaus

#20 ·
Klaus and all, I just received a copy of German Police Vol.I by Angolia and Taylor. A very interesting book. With a large amount of information on the Weimar and Third Reich Police units, formation and organization. While scanning through it I found a reference to the V.P.S.

In case War time mobilization was required. A special unit was set up. The "verstärkte Polizeischutz or V.P.S." was to be activated to be used to guard and defend installations, munitions factories, supplies, and industries essential to the war effort. They would also be used as an evacuation and rescue service. "They would become part of the local guard formations". Kind of their version of Homeland Security.

Don Maus mentioned the book in a previous post, so I ordered it. Don has informed me that he has found a few minor errors,in his opinion, but it seems to be accurate for the most part.

Ron

#22 ·
Hi Klaus,

It states that,As of 16/17 January 1937 "An agreement was reached between the Reich War Minister and the Reichminister of the Interior aimed at guaranteeing the efficiency of the police in time of war. In effect, the police could only draw on a limited pool of manpower for replacements,as all others were subject to call-up by the army: untrained men over 30 years of age, and trained men over 43." [This was printed previous to the excerpt in my post above]

A referrence footnote #291: "Manpower Study" describes the V.P.S. as "Reinforced Police Control Service" defining it as the peacetime Order Police plus reinforcements. The V.P.S. is referred to by Kopitzsch,op.cit.,who states it was also called simply "Police Reserve" (Polizeireserve): the Wehrmacht had at their disposal for such Reserve those born between 1901 and 1909 and it was raised with a strength of 91,500. V.P.S. would more literally be translated to "Reinforced Police Protection".

This is pretty much the extent of the article. Does it sound plausable?

Ron

#23 ·
Hi Klaus,

It states that,As of 16/17 January 1937 "An agreement was reached between the Reich War Minister and the Reichminister of the Interior aimed at guaranteeing the efficiency of the police in time of war. In effect, the police could only draw on a limited pool of manpower for replacements,as all others were subject to call-up by the army: untrained men over 30 years of age, and trained men over 43." [This was printed previous to the excerpt in my post above]

A referrence footnote #291: "Manpower Study" describes the V.P.S. as "Reinforced Police Control Service" defining it as the peacetime Order Police plus reinforcements. The V.P.S. is referred to by Kopitzsch,op.cit.,who states it was also called simply "Police Reserve" (Polizeireserve): the Wehrmacht had at their disposal for such Reserve those born between 1901 and 1909 and it was raised with a strength of 91,500. V.P.S. would more literally be translated to "Reinforced Police Protection".

This is pretty much the extent of the article. Does it sound plausable?

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.