Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -- recently came into a Mauser Broomhandle and would like some help identifying it. It is clearly a wartime commercial model, and looks to be in pretty good shape. Numbers match up and down as serial #340109.

Two things are odd: first, it has what seems to my amateur eye to be a regimental unit marking on the magazine floorplate: "10.R.M.G.," and extensive British proof marks on the barrel. The floorplate seems to be original (again to my amateur eye). Can anyone help me make heads or tails of all this? Are we looking at an early-Weimar British import?

Thanks all and please let me know if you need more pictures or information. (And finally please forgive any oversights as this is my first time posting here.)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The gun was assigned to a reserve machine gun company. I never seen one with the unit marking on the floor plate before. It might have reached Britain after WWI or after WWII..

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would say the pistol is marked to the 10th Grenadier-Regiment, Maschinengewehr-Kompagnie. The marking looks like it was stamped twice.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's a very nice C-96 and your photography is excellent.

Jeff Noll wrote the book - literally - on unit markings so I'd go with his interpretation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say the pistol is marked to the 10th Grenadier-Regiment, Maschinengewehr-Kompagnie. The marking looks like it was stamped twice.
Thanks for weighing in, Jeff. I'm grateful to have the ur-expert taking a look. I'm also curious what leads you to think it's from a Grenadier regiment.

Appreciate you folks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts