Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
13,644 Posts
Please put any pictures HERE on the forum.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yes, it's one of Josef Nickl's Mauser rotating barrel 9mms, made about 1916. They were prototypes and should have a very low serial number. They were the predecessor of the .380cal Czech M-22 and 24 pistols. it probably turned up in your part of the world as a few hundred mauser M-1912s in cal 9mm were sold to Brasil before WWI. It's a very rare piece, which I expect that you are aware of.
Mike

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Juan, welcome to the forum! You have a very interesting pistol, I have never seen one before.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Now theres a pistol you don't see everyday. I thought though that these Mauser 9mms looked more like an enlarged 1914, with the takedown being the same. Does one exist like that or am I making stuff up?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
This gun was previously discussed on Wehrmacht Awards forum.
At that time the discussion was very odd and inconclusive, as it was full of nonsense and furtive claims by this Gentleman, to say the least.
You can read the full topic on this link:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534242&highlight=Nickl

Mike,

Now you mentioned a subject of my personal interest. The tale about these guns (or the Mauser 9mm Model 1912/14) being sold to Brazil is a kind of old but groundless claim that several authors (Ezell and Hogg, for instance) made and stuck. They said that such guns were bought to equip the crews of Brazilian battleships (probably the "Rio de Janeiro" battleship, later known as HMS Agincourt), by then under construction in UK. However, this ship was never delivered to Brazil navy and none of such pistols were ever sighted down here as far as I know and I never managed to locate any, whatever it in museums or in private hands.

In my opinion, another fancy theory for a very rare gun. It would be great if true, but it's not the case.

Douglas

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Jim,
Nope, you're not crazy, the initial Mauser Mdl.1909, and subsequent Mdls1912 and 1914, would remind you of the m1910/14/34 series of pistols, kind of. The were blowback guns, using a reduced charge 9mm Para round and a 'speed brake' on the pistol to slow down the lockwork at recoil. Didn't work, kinda like firing 9mm Para in a Glisenti. Our friends pistol is the Nikl design, a rotating barrel lock, like the Czech CZ-22/24 series of pistols, just built by Mauser. They're all prototypes. The gun your thinking of is the Mdl1912/14 in 9mm para,and can have shoulder stocks and in some cases adjustable rear sights, and usually with 2 and 3 digit serials. I've never seen one in this country, but Jack Krcma in Canada has several, and Visser in the Netherlands does also. Jaun's gun here is very like the CZ guns, and I'm assuming is a very late Mauser made prototype, possibly made just before, or after Mauser licensed the design to the Czechs. The 1912/14, are rare, to say the least, but this pistol is in it's own world, at least to me:eek:
Mike

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Mexico actually ordered 10,000 of these 9mm pistols from Mauser after some trials. Unfortunately for Mauser, the Mexican contract was the only one that materialized, and it was too small for Mauser to bother with production. Mauser replied that they were unable to fulfill the (already signed!) contract and offered to deliver 10,000 C96 pistols instead. After some legal issues back and forth, the entire contract was cancelled.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I thought Vissers guns were sold to Sturgess ? Unless he decided to keep some.

Note, There are two Mauser Nickel pistols that this man has photo's of and were discussed on other sites.

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Henk Visser passed away in 2007.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vlim: Do you know anything more on the source of the information regarding this Mexican contract? I had never heard of it and would like to pursue further.

Best regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
olviden, miren y piensen

Forget knights if the M1916 or M1929 pistol is. What interests me and I think you not noticed that I am presenting a pistol by any book ever published.I really want all possible information about the other gun ever released. Unfortunately both are identicar of external appearance. But the gun never advertised has no rotating barrel system. Greetings juangomez-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Olviden caballeros si la pistola es M1916 o M1929.Lo que me interesa y creo que ustedes no percataron que le estoy presentando una pistola jamas publicada por ningun libro.Realmente me interesa todo posible dato sobre la otra pistola jamas publicada.Lamentablemente ambas son identicar de apariencia externa.Pero la pistola jamas publicada no tiene sistema de cañon rotativo.Saludos juangomez

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
There is at least one copy of a Mexican attorny's letter to Mauser about the proceedings. We have a digital copy of that document available, the original is in a German collection.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
As I'm not known to be in any way PC, I will say this. It appears, from other threads and forums, that this gun has been waved around the Internet like a flag. In my old gunshow days we dealers called this 'whored around'. I believe that Sr Gomez knows exactly what the gun is, and has a relative idea what it's worth. Rare? Well of course it is. Stumble onto a prototype C96 one time. But, I believe this is more of a case of 'show the gun on enough collector sites and someone will make a serious $$$$$$$$ mistake' as opposed to a quest to find information. The problem, I believe for Sr Gomez, is that anyone who would know enough to want it, and have the money to buy it, also would have a good idea what it's worth. The other consideration to me would be the problems I've had in the last 10 years getting anything of value out of Argentina, much less a weapon, that the BATF and U.S. Customs may or may not consider a military weapon. {so lets whang import stamps on a prototype Mauser}. Frankly, I think he's already been made the offer of a lifetime by one of our members. Personally, I'd wade through a pile of 'em to get to a Mdl 1902 C96 with the joint-lock sight safety;)
Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NO entendi ni jota

la verdad que tiene muchos problemas y yo solo quiero saber si existe la certeza que no se halla publicado esta pistola en ningun lado.

Tanto cuesta confirmar o desmentir ??

Solo pido eso , gracias por la opinion.

PD animense a confirmar o desmentir la supuesta extrañeza.

yo no tengo libros de ninguna clase

As I'm not known to be in any way PC, I will say this. It appears, from other threads and forums, that this gun has been waved around the Internet like flag. In my old gunshow days we dealers called this 'whored around'. I believe that Sr Gomez knows exactly what the gun is, and has a relative idea what it's worth. Rare? Well of course it is. Stumble onto a prototype C96 one time. But, I believe this is more of a case of 'show the gun on enough collector sites and someone will make a serious $$$$$$$$ mistake' as opposed to a quest to find information. The problem, I believe for Sr Gomez, is that anyone who would know enough to want it, and have the money to buy it, also would have a good idea what it's worth. The other consideration to me would be the problems I've had in the last 10 years getting anything of value out of Argentina, much less a weapon, that the BATF and U.S. Customs may or may not consider a military weapon. {so lets whang import stamps on a prototype Mauser}. Frankly, I think he's already been made the offer of a lifetime by one of our members. Personally, I'd wade through a pile of 'em to get to a Mdl 1902 C96 with the joint-lock sight safety;)
Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts