Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be my weekend for oddball stuff. I picked up a nice, matching P38, and AC 41 in the a block today and it was in a German hardshell P08 holster reworked into a P38 holster. The takedown tool pouch was removed, the front edge P08 mag pouch was taken off, and a P38 side mag pouch added. Also the side closure flap from a softshell P38 holster was added with a flap holddown stud.

I know that it sounds like a frankenholster, but it is actually a very workman like job.

Anybody ever seen anything like this before?

Sniper

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Sounds like a "GI" special. The Germans would never have done that. I once purchased a BYF 43 P38 in a Luger holster dated 42 complete with the loading tool and capture papers. I think the GI's didn't know the difference between a Luger and P38 holster.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
If this is the holster to which you were referring to, then it is indeed an original authorized conversion from a P.08 to P.38 holster. Somewhere down the road from where the P.08 holster was made , they had a surplus and needed P.38 holsters instead. The German authorities then reworked the existing stockings or a limited amount of existing stocks to meet current demands.

modified luger holster.jpg.

kk

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
9,925 Posts
Mark, Huggiebear is right. These are authenticated but scarce. Jerry Burney

lugerholsterrepair

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
9,925 Posts
Sniper, Yes, this is an original example of the P08/P38 conversion. I believe it is either in Jans Imperial Holsters or Benders Luger holsters And Accesories book that one is shown and detailed. I cannot remember which...Not many are seen and I think they are an unusual and desirable collectable. You should deffinately keep yours if you have one. Jerry Burney

lugerholsterrepair

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I found it in Bender's luger holster book today. I guess I'm going to end the auction early and disappoint some folks, unless the bidding goes up significantly.

Wonder what the holster is worth now that I know what it is?

David

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I canceled the auction last night, and plan to keep the holster. Got some folks who are a little miffed at me for that. Thanks for keeping me from making a mistake on a rare holster.

sniper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts