Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Can't see what the second photo shows.
Does it have a property stamp?
According to Pate, USMC could be either U.S. Marine Corps or U.S. Maritime Commission. I'm unsure whether anyone knows. The Marines (mainly flight crew) were issued these by the Navy, and they already had US property stamps. I do not understand why Marine armorers would restamp.
JT

· Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JT,
I am as confused as everybody else! This revolver has only the "P" proof on the left frame behind the cylinder-photo two. There is a flaming bomb on the butt.
According to Pate some revolvers have the US NAVY on the top strap and again on the frame, in the same location as this one.
I am going to send all the info to Mr Roy Jinks, the Smith and Wesson Historian. Not sure if he will have any info on the post production marks.
Dean

· Registered
257 Posts
I've read that we should treat with suspicion any handgun that purports to be Marine Corps issue.
With the ordnance bomb and no U.S. property stamp, it sounds like an Army contract for the DSC, i.e. a civilian sidearm.
Perhaps it really is Maritime Commission. The number on the grip could be a rack number. Is the right grip panel numbered to the gun?
I've gotten letters from S&W for both of my Victory models. The letters contain only the shipping date and destination. Still, I'm glad I have them, and that Mr. Jinks is willing provide this service for such a small fee.
JT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.