Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Very few people like to answer questions on load data due to the liability problem. I'm the same way, but, the original bullet was of 124 grs FMJ. Make sure your Luger is in sound shooting condition by having a Gunsmith look at it and then use one of the heavier loads in any good loading manual. Originally, when GI's brought home these trophy's, they wouldn't function with US ammo....it was loaded too light. Supposedly Lugers can fire sub-gun ammo.

Dave

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Frank, The Old Guy is correct. Georg Lugers bullet was 124 gr, Truncated Cone FMJ. with a muzzle velocity of about 1070 ft/sec.

Later, post 1916, the bullet weight is listed as 115 to 123 gr, which I assume to be the original specifications. In the late 1040's the Germans reduced the bullet weight to 97 to 102 gr. and reduced it even farther to 89 to 92 gr. in late 1942. These last data are obtained from John Walter's "The Luger Book".

I usually shoot either Commercial Winchester or Remington 115 gr bullet cartridges, but i have also loaded 124 gr. bullits with 5.3 gr of Unique and a cartrigdge OAL of 1.155 inches with good results. But with the cost of ammo coming down and the cost of components going up, it's hardly worth while to roll your own!!

My AOL is slighty shorter than the 1.170 inches measured on some German WWII Ammo. Also I haven't chronographed my loads for Muzzle Velocity.

From one Frank to another.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I understand well you suggest commercial bought ammo for a Luger ??
I don't agree with that.
A lot of the modern ammo is more powerfull as the old military ammo.
In our range club there are several guy's with a Luger and we all had problems with commercial ammo as to broken toggles and extractors.
We allways use "soft" reloaded ammo on which the gun functions properly but not more than that.
Choose a propellant and load 5 rounds with X grain than 5 rounds with X.1 grain etc. etc.
After I load my Luger ammo this way I never had problems again.
Remember each Luger is different due to the strenght of the springs etc. so the perfect soft load for every Luger is different too !!

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Dear Dutch, you may well disagree and that's your prerogative.

The commercial loads that I mentioned are soft when compared to some European Commercial Loads. I have use these US commercial loads in all vintages of Lugers and P.38 pistols with virtually no malfunctions nor breakages. I suspect you have little or no experience with the Winchester or Remington Ammunition I use, so please use your words more carefully next time you choose to comment!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Frank´s on the mark.

The Kaiser´s army stipulated the following for the P 08 with a 100mm (not quite 4 inch) barrel:

8 gramme bullet (123.5 grains) (please check my gramme/grain - metre/ feet conversions).
0.36 grammes Nitro (5.55 (grains)
resulting in 327 m/sec (1073 ft/sec)

Using the same length barrel and same weight bullet,
I use: 3.9 grains Bullseye resulting in 300 m/sec (984 ft/sec)

And this seems to me to be a good target load that doesn´t put too much stress on the weapon. Anything less, and my Lugers don´t cycle completely - but this is determined by the main spring as well. I suppose you just have to accept that parts break. I´ve seen more modern pistols break this year than ever before.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't want anybody angry out here.
What I said is my experience and that of several other Luger fanatics overhere.
No, we don't use Winchester or Remington ammo in 9x19 overhere because it is too expensive.
Fiocchi, Geco are too "hard" for most Lugers if you have one with a strong mainspring S&B will work.
When I shoot a shooters quality Luger I take the risk of broken parts, but with a fine matching piece I'am very carefull !!!

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Hey Guys.... I guess I'm the crazy one out here....I use a 124gr FMJ ahead of 4.5grs. of bullseye for 1090-1100 fps. Every Luger I own (6), digests this load perfectly with no damage. My gunsmith has inspected all of them for problems (He'a a Luger buff too) and there are no hint of problems. I must admit that for shooting I have installed stiffer recoil springs. All except for my LP08, It was stiff as hell to start with!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Dave,

I don´t see why 4.5 grains of Bullseye should do any damage either. I only use 4.0 grains as I don´t see why I should need more just to perforate a bit of paper at 25 yards.

Just out of interest, have you timed the 4.5 load?

Furthermore, I´ve been shooting Lugers exclusively for years - and have never broken anything yet.

Patrick

·
Registered
68 Posts
We are with 3 guys in our range club shooting Lugers, all of us had a extractor broken and one of us even a broken middle Toggle (Forum member Harrie)
We all use soft loads now, the pistol should repeat and not more than that.
Maybe there where other circumstances why these parts broke dawn
(we don't know what happened with them in their long service live)
but since then we are carefull with our beloved babies !!

·
Super Moderator
5,336 Posts
Hi DJ,

Have been shooting S&B 124 grain for a couple of years now. Never had any big problems. Sure when you start shooting an old Luger seriously again, some minor parts will break. Normal wear.

Broke an ejector spring (cheap repro), a grip spring (duh, 90 years old) and a fire pin retainer (previous owner was a lousy reloader). This was spread over 3 Lugers and some 3000+ rounds of S&B.

My rules of Luger-shooting are simple:
-Shoot factory ammo
-Keep a supply of spare parts
-Don't shoot collection quality pistols.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gerben, you are right I don't use a collector quality Luger to shoot and try to keep some spare parts on stock.
But you know that getting spare parts in Holland is difficult, in Germany they are expensive and when we import them form the US we need an importlicense (except for some minor parts as springs, pins etc)
and most important a seller who wants to ship them to you !!
Never the less, I grapped some parts during the years and I buy all parts I can get for a reasonable amount.
For ammo I stay with me carefully reloaded "Dutchjoe Luger Ammo" ((-:

·
Super Moderator
5,336 Posts
Hi DJ,

We've got a small crew of P08 shooters at our local club. Perhaps it's nice to organize a P08 game evening somewhere in the Netherlands?

·
Super Moderator
5,336 Posts
Hi,

We shoot in Rucphen, West-Brabant. So both Rucphen (near Breda) and Limburg are no problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.