Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this P-38 cyq for a few years, and have not yet run across anything explaining the * between the serial number 1482n and the E/88 near the trigger. Import mark?

The star appears to have eight tips with nothing in the center... It also appears on the barrel next to both a capital and small B. The other side of the barrel is marked with the normal cyq with E/88.

Any information on the * or b's would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on a good, in-depth, p-38 only resource book (similar to Jan Stills Luger Books) that is still in print? I have a couple smaller paperbacks and other books partially covering p-38's that dont give quite enough info.

Thanks! Scott
Download Attachment: MVC-004S.JPG
18.93KB

Download Attachment: MVC-005S.JPG
33.85KB

Download Attachment: MVC-007S.JPG
46.15KB

Download Attachment: MVC-008S.JPG
54KB

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Scott,

The ubiquitous asterisk mark is not an import marking and is more common on Spreewerk manufactured pistols, although it appears on many types of WWII German guns. It is believed, in collector circles, to represent a rejection mark and when the part was brought back into tolerance, it was used in a gun.

I have a late Spreewerk gun with no less than three asterisks on the barrel, so it was rejected 3 times before it was usable.

Here is an early asterisk from a 2nd variation 0 series Walter.

Download Attachment: 02ndast.jpg
53.01 KB

Warren Buxton has written 3 volumes on P38s and his publication is considered very accurate and complete even though it is several years old.

Good luck,

Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,
Thanks for the gentle answer on the "dumb" p-38 question... I only have two p-38's and my father-in-law has several, none of the others had the rejection markings - but none of the other were Spreewerke. The rejection marks sound similar to the RC marks on the Erfurt Luger.

I have seen, and come close to purchasing, the Warren Buxton books on the internet... I will look into those for better P-38 reference.

Again I appreciate the info!

Scott

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Scott,

There is no such thing as a dumb question as far as I am concerned, asking questions is the only way we learn!

Also, the Buxton books are a bit more technical than others. I would recommend getting volume one on the Walter pistols first, it has a lot of information about the early develpoment of the P38.

Volume two is on Mauser and Spreewerk and volume three has some additional information plus info on post war reworks.

Take care,

Mark

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am very interested for hide out frame number under the left grip plate. I need it for my research. Asterisk means repairable reject. Former forced labor workers confirmed it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Frame was in factory "closely watched part". Another parts quantity was not so strictly controlled. It is verified.

The following is my speculation: The verisimilar meaninig of hide out frame number is factory internal SN based on production batches. It is probably the reason the hide out frame numbers range is often repeated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.