Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Are there other markings? Is it wartime German? Thanks.
Tim H.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Every time I see tan canvas (dak) I think Afrika corps. I know tan was used throughout the entire theater though. I've seen flat and round p38 lanyards but always in tan. Never a leather or black, grey or green one. They're so rare they must have literally been the first thing that got tossed. JB

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It looks a bit different from the lanyard on this Norwegian-contract post-war P38, but I would still think it’s from that era.

It is correct according the 1940 dated instruction; in German it´s called Pistolengurt. It was used with the P08 too
Thanks for sharing

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Has anyone made an attempt to study German use of lanyards during the war? Historical photographs show that the British and Commonwealth officers used lanyards all the time, while Americans almost never did, even though the 1911 and the secondary S&W Victorys were all equipped with loops/swivels. I must admit I have never looked for that in photos of German personnel specifically, but it would be interesting.

It is correct according the 1940 dated instruction; in German it´s called Pistolengurt.
This terminology is rather peculiar; I wonder how they came up with it. The standard term for lanyard in German has always been “Fangriemen”, sometimes “Fangschnur”. When I hear “Pistolengurt” as a German, I would literally think pistol belt.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It seems that lanyards were introduced for the P08 in 1935 and not earlier. The earliest known document for the lanyard is dated November 1935 and the lanyard was used only with mounted soldiers; that can not be many in 1935... and you are right that we used in Germany more the word "Fangriemen" than "Pistolengurt" but Pistolengurt was the used word for it we can see in the documents of the archives.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems that lanyards were introduced for the P08 in 1935 and not earlier. The earliest known document for the lanyard is dated November 1935 and the lanyard was used only with mounted soldiers; that can not be many in 1935... and you are right that we used in Germany more the word "Fangriemen" than "Pistolengurt" but Pistolengurt was the used word for it we can see in the documents of the archives.
Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It seems that lanyards were introduced for the P08 in 1935 and not earlier. The earliest known document for the lanyard is dated November 1935 and the lanyard was used only with mounted soldiers; that can not be many in 1935 ….
Actually quite a few. The Reichwehr and then Wehrmacht were still relying on horses to a large degree and had significant Reiter- bzw. Kavallerie units. From that angle, it’s surprising they introduced the lanyard this late, just as motorization was starting to have some effect.

A good Wiki article on German army horses, unfortunately only in German and Polish:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Not unfortunazely for me... thanks for the hint! It is an interesting article. An uncle, mothers brother, born in 1922, was in a monted artillery in the Armygroup Hoth short distance for Stalingrad in 1942, so I know about horses in Army of those days. But there were only a few mounted soldiers with Lugers and the lanyards, I think.

·
Registered
467 Posts
But there were only a few mounted soldiers with Lugers and the lanyards, I think.
Certainly the idea of shooting the pistol from horseback in combat which underlies those 1935 instructions you posted was a bit quaint and outdated for WW II.

I love that reference about how they can let the pistol dangle (but with the safety on!) from the lanyard after use until there is time to properly stow it in the holster again :)

Font Rectangle Circle Number Paper product

·
Registered
WWII firearms, holsters, insignia, badges, Japanese swords, and other militaria
549 Posts
Here's a wartime photo. Note the man on the left has a P38 hanging from a lanyard around his neck.

I had one of these lanyards on my table for sale at the SOS, and nobody bought it!!!:oops::oops::oops:
Most people didn't even know what it was.

Matt:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
P. 38 lanyards (much less P. 08 lanyards) were never standard issue items provided with every pistol or anywhere close to it. If they were there would be many thousands around and to be found at every show and web search. I do not know the conditions of issue but I have seen a number of WWII photos with the “regulation” P.38 lanyard being used (one well published by a GD RK bearer officer) and others less clear but possible. There were a quantity of these found and imported into the US maybe 30 years ago but they were into collections quickly. The prices they fetch now make the emotive “black widow” Luger at 7k these days look like felony theft in comparison to what one is getting for their money.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts