Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice from the experts, I am interested in buying a Luger and need to know what to look for for the price range of $500-$1000.
Really would like to buy a Bulgarian P08 but little too pricey for now. Any advice on what I should buy,would really like some input as I dont want to get taken to the cleaners and I would like a P08 that was in WWI or both World Wars.Thank in advance
derek

ADMIN: Derek, I moved your posting to the New Collector forum, since it was not centered towards Imperial. ebt

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,110 Posts
Frogman7, While I am not an expert I can tell you that you must give some serious thought to what you want this pistol for. If you are going to shoot it, you will want a different piece than a collector investment pistol.
You will want to stay within your collecting interest. If you want a Bulgarian I highly recommend you get what you want even if the price is a little more than you want to invest. You may get something less , not be as happy and then you will always think you should have gone for what you wanted at first. A P-08 that has been in both wars will be hard to prove actually, not impossible as many were. Many WW1 dated Police fit that catagory and are easily proven to have seen service in both conflicts.
Have you bought any good Luger books such as Jan Stills and looked over the field? I advise you buy several good books and study the subject you are about to invest $500 to $1000 bucks in.
My interest has always been WW1 Imperial as it has quite a history involved.
You may also concern yourself with who you buy this pistol from as there are some unscrupulous dealers out there who might try to take advantage of one who is looking to buy their first Luger. I know there are many members here who might have something you want and are willing to sell. You might try an ad in the trader section and see what pops up and by who. Don't be afraid to ask around about who is reputable. Ask for and get in writing an inspection period when looking at a possible purchase. Know what you are looking at when you get it. This is a hobby with at times, a very steep tuition. Try to get it right the first time and do not be in any great hurry. What you will find acceptable will come along soon enough. I am sure there will be some other members post much more advice for you, at least I hope so. Good Luck, Jerry Burney

·
Registered
402 Posts
Jerry has given you some great advise, ask here or on Luger Forum for a member who perhaps lives in your area and could meet you at a local gun show. Ask question and do not be in a rush to buy. Try some of the dealers who are on the internet and see what they offer and the prices, try www.simpsonsltd.com or fgsinc.8m.com or worldoflugers.com, gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com...if I can be of help please let me know

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the differance between a commercial and pistol that was issued to the german military? What should I look for ,I thank I am shhoting for something from DWM.How can you tell a rework?7.63 or 9mm which should be the one to look for??
thanks

·
11,110 Posts
Frogman, A commercial will have entirely different proofs. The commercial can be easily recognized by the Crown/N proof. Or Germany stamped although many commercials were conscripted to military use.

Being able to tell a rework is easily done in some cases and an art in others. You must learn to tell the difference between an original finish on a pistol and thusly be able to recognize one that has been monkeyed with. To do this you must look at many original pistols and either have a mentor or buy many books.
Military's will generally be in 9MM and commercials are mostly but not always in 7.63. If you intend to shoot the pistol buy either one you can afford. The 9MM is $5.50 a box of 50 and 7.63 is $20.00 a box. If you are simply collecting and not shooting it won't make any difference.

I highly recommend you immediately buy a couple of hundred dollars worth of books and start educating yourself. It is fascinating reading and many of the questions you are asking here will be answered many times over by enjoyable reading. Books are a good investment too. If and when you are finished with them they can easily be sold, often for more than you paid. Believe me, you will be glad you did. Jerry Burney

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
Jerry is giving good advice, new collectors want a gun, then the books. Probably most of us have gone that route... But books will save you money in the long run, however, a single gun, to get you kick started gets many collectors wanting more. Always buy the books and read up on them. If you are going to shoot, then buy a 9mm (one to shoot should cost $450-$600), a 7.65 (7.63 is the broomhandle mauser) is pretty expensive to shoot, compared to a 9mm.

Ed

·
11,110 Posts
OOPS! ED your right! 7.65! I'm an idiot.

Ron, who were you referring to as a crotchety old duffer? It couldn't possibly be me, as I am young, handsome and have a very pleasing personality...Ask Ellie! Jerry

·
Registered
704 Posts
You guys get an AMEN! From me on the advice. Frogman needs to spend his $500 on tuition and books at Luger U. first. After he has done this, read, re-read and studied, then he will be sufficiently knowledgable to begin asking the smart questions of the group and may possibly find someone here or on the other board willing to take the mentor role.

Actually folks, our hobby is suffering from some terrible demographics, like many of the European nations, we are dying off much faster than we are being replaced by new Luger enthusiasts...we need to consider if we want this obcess..uh, hobby to be passed on to subsequent generations. If so, we need to begin actively working on cultivating the next generation of collectors. Afterall, if we don't, who is gonna buy our stuff as they wheel us off to the drool ward or morgue?

Tom A

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,230 Posts
Tom, "...who is gonna buy our stuff..." that is, after all, uppermost in my future widow's mind. I have collector friends with money (they are all my age or older) I have younger acquaintences also...they are all penniless. Maybe, when the time comes, the little woman would find one of the younger guys more interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.