Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
I thought some may be interested in seeing this unusual characteristic of some early P08 commercial models. If I’m not mistaken, it’s possibly a characteristic of Imperial officer private purchase.
I learned of this marking by reading the works of several distinguished experts, here on this Luger Forum.
Always interesting and thanks guys.

·
2,468 Posts
MCG, the P marking was done on numerous commercial models, especially the Model 14 commercials, before and during WWI to distinguish them from the military accepted pistol. The PRV indicated Private purchase in the German language. Regards, JIM

·
Platinum Bullet Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dwight,
It’s a P08, commercial, ser# 42770, BUG proofed.
I’ve not looked at my 1908 1st issue Lugers. Do you expect they might have the same marking or is the stamp only found in commercial models?
I’ll take a look and let you know.
Mark

·
Platinum Bullet Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As expected, no mag well stamp in my first issues, after all they were “issued”, not private purchase. I should have known.
Mark

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Mark,

Thanks very much for the serial number. The Prv. = private purchase is Conventional Wisdom. The mark is uncommon, and sometimes a P (only) is stamped in this position. The possibility of its being stamped in a military contract pistol has never occurred to me and likely to no one else as well, as being pre-selective. Any reports of a military pistol stamping would certainly be telling.

--Dwight

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,500 Posts
I have only observed either the Prv. or P on 08 BUG proofed commercials. Someone got a nice one at the SOS this week. I already have several, or it would have been me. John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts