Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this probably 25 years ago when a somewhat beginning collector for a shooter as the seller believed it to be refinished. After showing it to more knowledgeable and experienced friends, they concluded it was original finish. While not so easily seen in the pictures, the waffenampts on the right side are quite crisp with raised edges(I can feel them when I run a finger across them lightly) and the locking block is in the white. It seems obvious to me that the ac 40 was added after the pistol was finished. It is also all matching although the magazine is not, it's just marked P.38 on the left side. What do you folks think? I'll try and get some better pictures as I learn about my new camera.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
very nice !!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm looking in the new P.38 Pistol book by Alexander Krutzek, and his description matches - I think - your pistol.

There is some variation in this particular AC40 version; he says that some pistols will have a hand-stamped "40", whereas others will have the "AC 40" applied with one die.

pp: 68 & 69

·
Registered
245 Posts
Gazz,

Your ac over 40 stamp was applied with one die. Your pistol (1831b) has the 4 in the 40 with an open top where the 4 in the two die hand stamped is closed. The open 4 is used in all of 1940 b block pistols and throughout all of 1941-1943 ac over date production pistols.

If possible, pictures of front of barrel, locking block, mag floorplate and mag spine would be welcome. Super nice and hard to find pistol.

Geo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In addition to Geo's comments, I can add that each of your pistol's grips should be marked on its inside with the last three digits of the serial number (831) and an eagle over 359 inspection stamp.

Marc

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
The finish on these early AC-40 and AC-41 P.38 pistols was done in "high polish". This was dropped later in the AC-41 period. Seeing this as opposed to the standard military finish may have made you think it was redone.

When you remove the right grip, look and see if it's been milled up near the sear to accommodate the "horseshoe" sear...

For comparison, here's my AC-40 from the end fo the "b" block:

·
Silver Bullet Member
770 Posts
Gazz, as mrerick said, the ac40 P.38s were high-polish. It's common to think that they are refinished, and they are difficult to photograph. Even slightly different angles and lighting can make a dramatic difference in the photograph. You might get better photos in natural indirect light. Try taking some outside from different angles. I think the finish on your ac40 is probably original, but better photos would help. I do see some high edge wear and plum color on the frame - both indicators of it being original. Also, look closely the three proofs on the right side of the slide. Normally, the first was applied before the finish, and the second and third after the finish. My ac40 is late a block, so fairly close to yours in terms of production.

P.38 1.JPG P.38 2.JPG P.38 3.JPG

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your comments! I am pleased to hear that it appears to be righteous especially since the auctioneer I bought it from was a snake (and eventually lost his license) and I feel that I got the better of him in spite all of his efforts to deceive. I'll try and get some more photos up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think that it is a salt blue. I have done rust blueing and it seems to be different than what I am familiar with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts