Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this from an old friend. He said it was a Persian contract C96. It is in excellent condition, so good that I'm leery of it. It looks like, at the least, to have been re-blued.
Let the pictures do the talking, as I don't know enough to tell you what I'm looking at.
Just wanting to know what I've got, please educate me....and of course, what it's worth.
Thank you guys in advance!
-Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Definitely reblued, but otherwise appears legit.
I don't know what to make of the star and a number over the chamber. It is not a factory marking.
I would guess about $800-1000 on the price..

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Reblued for sure. Vlim told us 1100 of these were made, so putting this into a scarce category. Value.. armsblue has one, he wants $3k but no one wants his gun. So $2k maybe.. Reblued R9 mixmaster could sell $3275, so don't let it go under $2k if all matching. You have to consider with that money what you can buy as a buyer.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Someone re-crowned the muzzle. Was it relined?

If you're a buyer, I would think avoid it regardless the price. Say, you don't have any C96, the first one coming being a very scarce one, unfortunately, in this shape. What's the purpose.. unless you want to buy it for resell, otherwise, .. save money for a good one even if that good one being a common one. This scarce one will have its buyer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed that it has been re-crowned as well, I guess when it was re-blued. Don't know about relined...the rifling is excellent.
I kinda figured that it was in rough shape and it was "refurbished"

·
Registered
926 Posts
It seems to me that whoever did the refurbishing did a pretty good job. Numbers and markings are quite legible and do not seem worn down from polishing. Some pitting under the blue on the mag well, but nothing serious, IMHO. What I really do not like is the marking on the chamber. Definitely not original to the gun. I had one of these with a matched stock and sold it about two years ago. Also refurbished,but I was glad to have it, along with my Turkish BH, both rare guns.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Persian is one of those C96 variations without stock. Some were not delivered and redistributed later. I have seen a few with those WWI stocks. But none of them matching. If you have picture of Persian with matching stock, May I take a look if pictures available?

I am looking for a Turkish. Julia sold a nice one, but I could not afford it. Another one was sold on GB, but shape was too poor. I bet there are ones in the middle.. no blue is OK, no stock is OK, minor rust and pits OK, but matching and original.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
It is the first Persian Contract in the 155000 range that I see.
Before Vlim and Mauro's essay about this contract it was believed that only the ones in the 154000 were legit Persian C96s.
But based on documents found in Paul Mauser's archives it was possible to set the actual contract as for 1100 guns (which wold be 154000 - 155099). Which places your guns as the second to last one made.

Douglas.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Alvin, I am sorry but I do not have photos of my Persian rig, altho I can say with certainty that the stock was matching and original, not a put-together type rig. As for my Turkish set,I sold that to Mauro about2 yrs ago.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
God, missed another opportunity for Turkish... How could Turkish come harder than 20CH... too few survived maybe.

Regarding Persian, back two years ago, a collector sold a pair from Julia. One has slightly better blue, but has a scar on the muzzle. Another one's muzzle is good, but finish is less. I thought back and forth on "which one to go", that's torturing. Finally went to the good muzzle one. It's still in my collection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts