Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new member here and need help - I hope that someone can help solving small mystery.
I recently obtained very nice Mauser Luger code S/42 made in 1938 from early "d" block.
This pistol is mint with original finish.
One thing that is unusual regarding this P08 - Eagle63 acceptance mark is visible on stock lug. I never came across S/42 Luger with acceptance mark in such location.

I know that it was typical for Simmons Facility......

I am attaching some pictures - please tell me if you ever meet with stamped stock lug in any of S/42 Lugers and if yes what it means - is it rare?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I wish you all Merry Christmas - happy holidays.

Michael - collector from Ga

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm considered new here too but boy even I can tell that add is loaded with Dis-information.
I hope this isn't the same gun as described above.
If so I think there is a WaA 63 stamp lying around is the south.
Marshal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really????????? From day this P08 been manufactured in 1938 this pistol sat in German army inventory till some time in 1942 when it got finally issued to nazi police and been equipped with two police

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Well its always good to see new variations...thats why this forum exists to see new stuff that is real....and who is to say that his is not an inspector that signed off on a stock lug that was almost out of standard? IT just seems to me that there is a hair trigger to always go negative...rest of blue looks ok...though photos are difficult to know for sure...

I dont know this guy and I dont have a dog in this fight:) Just seems like honest blue and machining..and who would bother to place a stamp on the bottom like that...and make a mess of it? An inspector stamp like that would add no value at all to the value of the item. So I see no drama IMHO. True I cant explain the later issue type mags...etc....

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
For those who believe this is a new variation Luger, please share your thinking in this regard as I am very interested to hear what about this
Luger makes it a new variation?

George

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The gun, by itself, looks good for an S/42 1938. The obvious issues are the mags and the E/63 stamp. We all know that luger values are boosted with phony mags, so two matching mags are ALWAYS suspect...and should be. The E/63 stamp is a real anomaly. It serves no purpose. It doesn't make the gun a police gun...or a navy gun...or a Luftwaffe gun...or anything else that might boost the value. It's just there and what else can be said? With the gun in hand, I would surely measure the size of the "E/63" to see if it's the same as the E/63's on the receiver as I believe they come in three sizes. If it's different it's even more suspect. The lack of a sear safety should also be an issue. I have handled thousands of lugers and have never seen an E/63, E/655 or E/135 stamped in this location. This is a "one-of-a-kind-gun" and they are always suspect. Until others like this show up for study, then the gun will always be challenged and the owner will always have to defend it. I'll be interested to see how much of a risk a buyer is willing to take when we the final bid. If this gun has been altered it would be easy for some buyer to remove the "1" and "2" from the mags and the E/63 mark and still have a very nice S/42 1938 army luger with two matching mags(assuming they're legit even w/o E/63 proofs).
Tim H.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, luger presented on pictures is the same listed on GB. This is my auction and you can see all details in GB listing. Everything is very legit. I also own 1938 S/42 from F letter block and finish is exactly same - even small discoloration visible on frame ( right side above grip) is exactly same or similar in one from F block. Same regarding other elements and bluing.
I am not concern about originality of finish because is 100% authentic and legit! but like I said, never seen E/63 on stock lug.

Like Tim Hawkins said - there was no advantage for someone to put such proof on pistol that is already very valuable simply because its low serial and authentic mint condition.
I seen many fake navy and Luftwaffe proofs, because this is what adds to value and people will go after.....

I was more curious if any one seen such mark on other S/42 with close serial number. Perfect example will be luger from same letter block .....

Regarding magazines - they are perfect - nothing been forced to match. They have correct tool marks and the way of stamping along with exact same typical german font.

If someone was able to fake it that way why he did not added E/63 ( since he already have it) and serial letter "d" instead police marking 1 and 2 ? ( having exact font and tools) making it perfect counterfeit and correct with other 1938 Military lugers??? It does not make sense !!! Especially having already very valuable Gun....It simply do not add up.....

Any additional " Experts" help or tips on this gun will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Michael

Link to my auction on GB with this nice P08: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=383769331

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,547 Posts
real nice gun, but one mag has p08 right side up and the other mag has the p08 upside down. This is explained in Bender's book, "Luger Holster's & Accessories"

It's odd that the grips don't seem to fit flush..there seems to be considerable overlap. Perhaps it's the pics shadows?

The right side receiver proofs look washed out. Buffed but maybe just light.

Bore is certainly excellent.

Why hide the last two digits on the loaded chamber indicator? I am confused by this comment?

It also looks as though the Eagle 63 was mis struck twice before it took? There is a full 63 below and other mis strikes.

The magazine bottoms look legitimate. No evidence of a grind and renumbering I can see. It's my understanding when these pistols were taken from Army stock by the police they would be fitted with Police mags. I am no "expert" though. So they would be incorrect with an Eagle 63 on them.

As a Police pistol in 1939 one would expect to see a sear safety?

Interesting pistol for sure.

·
Registered
447 Posts
jerry, i thought the upside down p08 was stopped around byf41 s block. the author stated that these were 1942 mags. i don't have that book, but i guess it says that that mag body was probably deep in some parts bin. i dont buy the fact that the mags were issued that late to that 1938 gun. adriaan

·
Registered
930 Posts
I do not necessarily see issues with the gun itself. The sn is 3d as you can see on GB. The finish is consistent with 1938. The stamp? Who knows but again it might be placed there by inspector because of some peculiar reason. I had an absolutely authentic 1936 luger which had WaA stamp instead of DE63- under the blue! Simsons had stamps there, so this might happen. Regarding the mags, who would imitate police mags like this? A military 1938 luger would be much more valuable with 2 mm than a police gun.

Boris

·
Registered
584 Posts
The defense of the gun would go something like:

1) Originally issued in 1938 to the Army
2) Re-issued later in the war say 1942 or later to the police
3) Magazines were added and numbered by the police post 1942
4) It was too late in the war to add the sear safety
5) Extra E/63 is simply an unknown of no great importance whether real or fake

I am not saying I believe this! Just saying how I would defend the gun if I was the trial defense lawyer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why hide the last two digits on the loaded chamber indicator? I am confused by this comment?
Sorry Jerry, I must have confused this one with another pistole posted at the same time with the two digits on the indicator blanked out.

Note to self, don't reply to more than one post at a time while looking at ten or more other pages at the same time on the internet ;-)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you, I think same way.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of great information , thank you all for responding to my question about this great pistol. Will see how my auction will end......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.