Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these grips for a long time . My opinion was they are repro , mostly because of the odd texture / grain . But I was always a little uncertain. I put them up for discussion. They actually came on a gun out of a relatively famous collection , Bruce Stern ( CT ) , but the gun itself had issues . Thanks 馃槉
Outerwear Black Sleeve Grey Font

Grey Font Pattern Glove Grille

Sleeve Grey Pattern Font Electric blue

Super Moderator
They may well be genuine. Try the hot pin test. Heat up the tip of a paper clip and touch it to a non-visible surface (inside surface) and see if it melts or burns. If it burns they are likely genuine.

Usually you don't see the threaded holes in repro grips.

Reactions: Jason S L

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They may well be genuine. Try the hot pin test. Heat up the tip of a paper clip and touch it to a non-visible surface (inside surface) and see if it melts or burns. If it burns they are likely genuine.

Usually you don't see the threaded holes in repro grips.
Great input thanks , They did not melt . The more I look at them 鈥渦nder the microscope 鈥 I鈥檓 feeling they are real . Also when I tap my finger nail on them they make the same sound as confirmed Bakelite grips

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ridge on mine does look a bit different鈥. I think this is the detail your looking for ?
Automotive tire Grey Mesh Wood Gas

Automotive tire Tread Grey Wood Synthetic rubber

Wood Coin Font Currency Money

Administrator
I have always done the tap test against each other grip, and the sound is distinctive, and then judge how it looks on the front and back. There are fakes out there, but most are poorly done, but some I have to ask for help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have always done the tap test against each other grip, and the sound is distinctive, and then judge how it looks on the front and back. There are fakes out there, but most are poorly done, but some I have to ask for help.
I鈥檓 glad I didn鈥檛 toss them 馃槅

Super Moderator
These are made from a mix of phenolic resin and cellulose (processed wood fiber).

It's possible that you are seeing some mold on the surface. Does it wash off or come off with some soap and light washing?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These are made from a mix of phenolic resin and cellulose (processed wood fiber).

It's possible that you are seeing some mold on the surface. Does it wash off or come off with some soap and light washing?
I can try , my opinion they cured oddly. The interesting texture is throughout and only seen on the inside of most bakelite panels. I have other black plastic grips , I need to compare the insides . thanks for the reply

Registered
They look good to me. The greenish-yellow fibrous texture can be seen especially in the screw holes. Do they have a strong phenolic or formaldehyde type smell when you run hot water over them?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts