Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was enjoying the Cate book on Sauer longarms when I discovered that my M30 was listed in the serial number list. I'm sure I'm not the first (or last) to own it. The book shows a date of 12/41 but I could not find the marking on my gun. I feel somewhat foolish in asking but could someone direct me to the location where I can find it?

Thanks,

G2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Remove your barrel set from the drilliing . Turn it over and look at the area nearest the breech and look at the area that is under the left barrel. This will be on your right when the barrel is in this position. You should see a stamped number; in your case it should be 1242. The 12 indicates the month of the year or Dec. and the 41 indiating the year as 1941. This is the date the gun was proofed . This is what I have been told and have read on this site . I hope others can provide additional information as I am new to the Sauer M30 drilling and do not want to mislead anyone . My M30 is listed in Mr. Cate's book as built in Jan. 1945 or as stamped 145. It is not a Luftwaffe but a commercial model. It is in 12x12x9.3x74r cal.. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm blind. Both barrels have the 12 / 65 above the E/N proof. The 9.3X74R and E/N markings are on the right of the two locking lugs (viewed bottom side up). The LW E/2 marking is on the last lug. I've moved the ejector and there are no markings underneath. Sorry, I just don't see any. Thanks for your help.

G2

·
2,360 Posts
Works for me... I was sent the information I used herein. Still, it is odd there is no Proofhouse date. Haven't seen that before. If you find the date let me know. Thanks, Jim....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jim, is it possible for you to post a picture from a previous tread that shows the underside of the barrels for a M30 or M32 Sauer drilling with its proof date and location ? I tried to do it but I am not computer savvy enough to get it done , Thanks, John.

·
2,360 Posts
No, I don't have a photo to post. As you know anything is possible that was made by the hands of man! Including mistakes. However, with the barrels off of the gun and with a view showing the chamber portion of the shotgun barrels under the rifle barrel(i.e. the shotgun barrels are laying on top of the tableworkbench with the rifle barrel above them), look down on the rifle barrel and in the space between the rear recoil lug and the side of the extractor's arm for the rifle cartridge, please find the 1242 in small 1.5 or 2mm in height. It's got to be there or on the immediate other side. Let me know what you find..

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking and don't see any marking. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow so you have an idea of what I'm seeing. Thanks again.

G2

·
2,360 Posts
Well, someone must have seen the 12/42 date on the barrel or barrel flats. Waiting on the photos you mentioned. JIM

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My apologies for being so late in responding. Here are some images of the underside of the barrels of my M30.

G2

Attachments

·
2,360 Posts
Strange, but I don't see a proofhouse date either....Oh well, I guess they were in a hurry that Monday morning (or Friday afternoon). Aren't they wonderful guns? Yes, they are! Beautifully made even in the latter part of the war.. Good ole J.P.Sauer!! Thanks, JIM

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Greg,

Perhaps this photo of a M30 drilling, serial 337588 that was once part of my collection will help. MVC-008F.JPG

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting. Mine is missing the S&S, the Shield stamping and the month/year markings. Thanks for the image.

G2

·
2,360 Posts
It would appear that the 1 from the 1941 is still there. Why anyone would have messed with the other markings is beyond me. Thanks for your interest and showing the photos. Francis, thanks for your help also....Regards, JIM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts