Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a chance to pick up any books on this Luger yet, maybe next weekend... This is a DWM, SN 82277. No alpha suffix. It has the stock attachment lug and a loop that I suppose is for the stock also... Has "N Crown" proof and nothing else as far as marks. Serial number on frame and barrel and last 2 sigits on the rear sight/toggle, take down lever and sideplate.

Any ideas when it was made? I have tied to research on the net and can't come up with too much... Made in the 1910-1920 range for commercial purposes?

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Vic, it probably is made in the early 1920's as a commerical piece. One thing interesting, your serial number is 82277. This thread http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1422 is for a police model, but interestingly enough, they have an "8" added to them and yours looks that way to me?

Something to wonder about. Can you provide a good picture of the left and right?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what items should I zoom in on in the pics? (there are no visible markings anywhere on the right and the left only has the crown proof and gesichert...

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
I just wanted to see both sides cuz it looks like a nice one, but a slighlt closer and lighter if you can, or I can lighten it up for you?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get some more pics up today...

The toggle can't be cycled with the safety engaged... doesn't this mean it was made prior to 1916?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guess there's some skill in taking nice pictures... skill I don't have obviously!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I think you'll find that production of five digit Commercial Lugers stopped at roughly 75,000 when WW1 erupted. Following the war, production started where it had left off and went to 92,000 approximately. Most sources agree that the five digit Commercial Lugers stopped at that point and the "Alphabet" Lugers began production with serial number 2000i which translates to 92,000 if each letter represents a block of 10,000. That would be 10,000 (no suffix letter) followed by 10,000a, and then 10,000b, 10,000c etc. The "1920 Commercial" or "Alphabet Commercial" Luger began where the five digit "1923" model stopped serial number wise.

Looking at your pictures, your Luger was POSSIBLY made of WW1 left-over parts assembled into a new Commercial Luger. The machining appears to be rougher than usual, suggesting late war-time production of the parts. Just a guess but I'd say your Luger was made in the 1919 - 1920 time frame..... give or take a little.

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Books are knowledge, knowledge is power. A friend of mine picked up a Test Luger (in very rough shape), but he picked it up because others did not know what they were seeing! So, books will help you from making mistakes and give you enjoyment at the same time,

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.