Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a DMW double date Luger in decent shape. All numbers reportedly match, except for the magazine. It has medium color wood grips, and is chamber dated 1917, with another "1920" stamp on it. I believe the 1920 means it was a WWI pistol that was marked after WWI as required under the Armistice terms. I'm not sure why, though.

Can anyone tell me anything else about this pistol?

What does the mark on the right side of the barrel mean?

What is the going rate for these? I can get it for about $920, but don't know if that's high, low or reasonable.

Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Kevin

Download Attachment: barrel markings and index.jpg
17.33KB

Download Attachment: barrel stamp.jpg
13.48KB

Download Attachment: chamber.jpg
13.62KB

Download Attachment: dwm 1917 1920 bbl stamp.jpg
13.49KB

Download Attachment: frame sn.jpg
12.01KB

Download Attachment: left.jpg
21.32KB

Download Attachment: left close.jpg
19.43KB

Download Attachment: mag bottom.jpg
13.46KB

Download Attachment: proofs.jpg
16.81KB

Download Attachment: right plus mag.jpg
21.06KB

Download Attachment: safety off.jpg
26.15KB

Download Attachment: safety on.jpg
20.47KB

Download Attachment: toggle.jpg
17.67KB

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kevin.

You are mostly correct in what you've already said. It is a 1917 made by DWM during WW1, then in 1920 the Reichwehr, to prevent property theft, the 1920 was put on guns and equipment as a property marking.

Can I see the marking on the barrel from a different angle?

The price is a bit high, but not unreasonble, main thing, is it original, all matching and has not been reblued.

I work in Englewood, CO btw.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ed--

Unfortuately, those are the only pics sent to me.

I'm in Littleton. Do you know of any places on the front range that have any decent Lugers for sale? I'm interested in getting one, but never seem to see them. This one is from out of state, which makes me leery, since I don't know much about the pitfalls of purchasing Lugers. Or, if you know anyone who has one they want to sell, I'd appreciate a heads up. I am looking for something to be a babied shooter. Maybe a couple hundred rounds a year.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
IMO, It's a decent pistol. And I think it would be worth the price. If you are buying it from out of state get a 3 day inspection agreement with the seller. And then if you can, post a bunch of quality close-up photos right away. A bunch of us will pick it to pieces. And then you can decide to keep it or not.

Ron

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
kpmtns

Looks like you also have a restamped Simson magazine with this luger which would put the magazine correct to the barrel stamp in Ron Woods post.

Is their any other simson proofs on the luger, ie breechblock area on the left side.

Simson reworks are bonafide correct reworks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as the Simpson rework proof on the barrel--does that mean that it was rebarreled? Or just that it was reproofed and accepted?

I'll let you know about whether I can get a written, guaranteed inspection period. If not, I'll definitely pass.

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kpmtns

As far as the Simpson rework proof on the barrel--does that mean that it was rebarreled? Or just that it was reproofed and accepted?
Yes, a little of both. There is some uncertanity about wheter it means rebarrel, rework or simply an acceptance into service.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.