Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently I purchased this from an estate as a WWII take back. My guess that I have a DWM 1918 set of parts assembled post-treaty into a police gun. Numbers are overstamped at times, but consistent with (what I think) is factory work. The Alum mag and plastic grips threw me, but I had heard they are appropriate for police items.

The barrel isn't stamped with a serial number, but the alignment chisel mark is dead on with the receiver. I understand that the stamp on the receiver may be proofs (1918?) and the barrel with a police stamp I believe.

I'd love to get opinions of "correctness" as well as interest/value/rarity.

Thanks in advance!
photo 1 copy.jpg photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3 copy.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg

Ed

- - - Updated - - -

PS I'd heard most police guns have a letter...but is it possible this on is pre-letter, and the earliest run?

I'd love to hear confirmation on the grips too as being original.... they match the look of other vintage grips on the back, matching black widow style injection ovals and grooves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PS it came with a later 1941 holster. I'd be happy to send photos, but it may just confuse the issue ;)
Ed

·
Administrator
13,644 Posts
Edward, it could be a number of things - but its not dated 1918, so unsure where you got that?

The receiver markings on the right (acceptance and proofs) do look like WW1 markings, but it should have a date on the top, all military did / and also those markings on the right. After the war it received a police sear safety - early 1930's.

It has a matching #2 (the second mag for the pistol) magazine

However, if it had been redone by the police, and stayed with the police, i would expect it all to be matching numbers, as it appears, do check the interior parts. If the rear toggle pin is numbered then that was done in the 1930's too, likely when it was rearsenalled.

The two main issues and its not pristine condition (not a slam) are the lack of serial number on the barrel, but if you could get better, close ups of the markings on the right (NOTE, looks like TP markings, which would fit as that is the armory for the Police in Berlin) and the lack of a date on the top of the receiver (again, close up markings on the right of the receiver).

Natural light but not direct sunlight is best, its tricky I know.

Welcome to the forum :)

No matter what, its a luger. Is it in 9mm? What is the small numbers on the barrel? 8,83 or the like?

PS: To tyour ps's - grips, if real, they are for later guns - krieghoff and are worth some decent money by themselves. Good clear pictures, front and back would show that.
Holster - many times the old holster was worn OR the GI picked a nicer one when he grabbed it - any paperwork came with the gun, i.e. we call them bring back papers?

Police guns came with and without a suffix (letter), everything depends on when they were made / every 10,000 the numbers started over and it would be 1a, 2a, 3a, instead of 10001, 10002, 10003 - see FAQ for some further information.

Value in this condition is probably $600-$750 ? matching mag, you might be able to add a $100 - holster, depends on if original and does it have a tool in the pouch?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
It has no stock lug and appears to be a long frame.
Tim H.

·
Administrator
13,644 Posts
good catch Tim :)

What Tim is suggesting is that this is an early frame - a close up of the front of the frame serial number would help, as it looks like there is something under the sn - but I can't tell.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,347 Posts
Hi Tim, I think your wrong about it being long frame, it looks short frame to me. With military proofs on the right side of the receiver the chamber must have been dated originally, so it probably started out as a 1910-1913 DWM P08.
Best regards, Norm

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,347 Posts
Hi Paco, You're right about the stock lug, it's very evident in the 3rd photo. That means the original date on the receiver would have been between 1913 and 1918.
Regards, Norm

·
2,468 Posts
Date was scrubbed when the police rebarreled this Luger. It was reproofed after it was rebarreled. See the Crown N? I believe most of the brown HK type grips were sent to police armourers after 1940 when HK began using black grips on their Lugers. I've seen other police modified Lugers with brown bakelite grips......Jim

·
Administrator
13,644 Posts
Jim, that was my feeling, and why I asked for additional pictures of the markings. Looks like a TP but hard to tell.

·
2,468 Posts
It is definitely a TP Berlin police rebarrel job. It was only military regulations that required a date on the receiver.. Fortunately for collectors all of the receivers were dated (pressure rolled) at the time of their production, which allows us to know the dates of production for the Mauser Banners in particular. I really don't see anything absolutely unusual about this Luger. Regards, Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here are some additional photos. I really appreciate all the informative details!

Ed photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I found the ANJ interesting....marked inside the frame and above the trigger. One can see the chisel mark line up on teh barrel.... Now I've never read anything about the inner grip marks and frame marks.

The numbers match at the toggle pin, safety lever, and all parts that I've reviewed (requested question earlier).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
P.S. There wasn't a tool with the holster or 2nd mag. Also, no, there wasn't GI paperwork. There was just the man's details of rank. I'm getting the son to tell more about his father's tour.

Oh, holster had a 1941 date on it with waffen mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts