Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - This Portuguese acceptance stamped Luger followed me home, and I’d like to learn as much as possible about it. It’s in great shape, came with a leather holster (no tools), and an unmarked Mag w/wood base. The pistol is serial # 484, all numbered parts that I see are matching, but there is no M2 or crown crest on top of the chamber. The left side of the frame is marked with an “s”, and there are Portuguese acceptance stamps on the underside of the barrel, left side of frame, and back of pistol above the lanyard ring. Is this a common pistol, and are there known variations of the Portuguese Lugers that don’t have the crest on top of the chamber? Any way to determine the production date? Thanks in advance, I look forward to the responses!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The most logical explanation is this: In 1908 King Manuel II authorized the purchase of 5000 Lugers of the 1906 model for the Portuguese army. They were delivered in 1909 and became their M/909. Each one had the intertwined M2 crest over the chamber.

Then came the revolution in 1910 that removed Manuel II from the throne and Portugal became a republic. Some - but not all - Lugers with the M2 crest were scrubbed by the new republic officials to remove the royal crest. They wanted no reminders of the monarchy. But, as I stated, not all royal crests were removed. In 1939, the Portuguese returned their Vergueiro M/904 rifles that were chambered in 6.5x58mm to Mauser. They were modified with new, shorter barrels in 8mm Mauser and refinished. They became the M1904/39 and many still carried the crest of King Carlos I.... an intertwined CI.

I suspect that your Portuguese M/909 has had it's M2 crest scrubbed. Below is the crest as it would have appeared on your Luger if my theory is correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response Doubs! Your theory makes a lot of sense. Looking at the pistol, the area above the chamber looks like it might have possibly been reworked. The bluing is different, but I assumed that was just due to wear. There isn’t any noticeable low point, where you could identify that the crest was removed though. Any thoughts on how value of the pistol might have been impacted? It’s in pretty good shape, the bore looks bright, and most of the bluing is intact - wear at high points, but that’s about it.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
cool looking pistol and holster...Bill

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Looking at your pictures, I'm 99% certain that yours was scrubbed. Also worth mentioning is that there were two slightly different M2 crests. The differences were minor and with just a casual glance, they look the same. The picture I posted above is the second type. I believe that your very low serial number yours would have been the first type.

WRT value, the M2 Portuguese Lugers are not that common as only 5000 were made. Many surviving examples have seen hard use. The prices on Simpsons website are pretty high IMO. In 1996 I paid $1008 for an M2 complete with holster, cleaning rod/oiler and pin punch. In 2019, I paid almost $2200 for one without any accessories. I hesitate to place a value on yours but with the holster and the crest missing, I'd estimate $1800 ~ $2000..... and that's a WAG. It could be more, depending upon who wants it. Others may chime in with a more valid range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doubs, thanks again for your initial reply, and the follow up! I feel pretty good about this purchase, I’m into it for $1600, and it’s is very nice shape overall. The holster looks nice, but it’s seen better days. The leather is starting to crack and the stitching is partially deteriorated, but it holds its shape, and fits this gun like a well worn glove. As much as I would love to have a solid M2 crest, I’m very happy to have a Portuguese contract pistol to go with a Portuguese display I’m working on (crate, spam can, 7.65 ammo). Thanks again, and looking forward to anyone else’s response.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I also have a scrubbed chamber Portuguese 1906 that is re-blued and has a replacement trigger and is therefore used as a shooter. Here is the thread on it which includes some comments on the crest issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts