Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow user Mike Jones was in my other thread about some Luger parts I inherited from my Grandfather. He suggested I take a closer look at the 11” barrel as it may be a 1902 Luger Carbine barrel and receiver. Figured I would make a dedicated thread to it. Thanks Mike!

Here are some pics and descriptions. As always any information on identification, history, value or any other input is always appreciated.

Here are all the markings on the receiver. The witness mark is unbroken and the barrel serial number matches the receiver.

Yep, it’s a .30 Luger all right.

Rear sight.

Lug on the underside of the barrel. Possibly for the wood foregrip.

Front sight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. I have been reading up on these over the last couple hours. It looks like the original 1902 Carbines had a different spring to offset the extra barrel weight. Are these springs available someplace and is that the only difference on the pistol? As you guys probably saw in the other thread I have a flat board stock as well. So would there be a legal issue using it with this barrel? I would love to find a wood handguard but the only 1902s I have found are whole pistols with the wood kit so I am thinking parts to make this close to complete are pretty scarce. So that would lead to the next question of value. Not panic pricing value but just a fair value. I don’t have plans to sell but it is always good to know the value of what you have!

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
The "different spring" that is employed to offset the barrel weight is a spring loaded accelerator that is located in the handguard/forestock. Unfortunately. even if you found and acquired a wood handguard you would have no means of attaching it. The frame of a carbine has an extension that is required to mount the forestock.
Ron
Frame Extension.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dwight Found an auction from November 2018 where the lower and wood fore end were sold. Same serial number.

Lot Detail - (C) DWM 1902 LUGER SEMI AUTOMATIC CARBINE.

From the auction listing:

Features include; 1902 carbine frame, fore stock and toggle assembly. The frame has a stock lug and frame extension. Barrel and receiver are from a 1920 commercial with a nine position artillery rear sight. fore stock has been repaired and is missing two screws on the wedge plate. Comes with an aftermarket detachable rear stock. Fair bore showing some frosting. CONDITION: Gun retains 95% of the re-applied blue finish with strawed small parts. Eight round detachable magazine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I contacted the auction house who said they would send my information to the buyer but I have not heard anything for a month or two now. If anyone has a line on either the buyer or the pistol in the auction please contact me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts