Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying this Luger as a gift for my father but something about these markings just feel off to me.. I can’t find any eagle markings that match the last one out of the 3 also there are no barrel marking on the side or witness marks. Can anyone give me any information on this pistol thanks.

The guys add on Texas gun trader reads as : Nice ww2 Luger p08 Issue 42 Code (Mauser)1940 9mm pistol..Almost 100% matching minus the toggle pin and bolt stop. Even the grips match! 1940 chamber dated Luger rig with 1 original aluminum Nazi magazine not matching. 4" barrel has an Very good and shiny bore ! No import marks with a possible re-blue. 2100$. Can meet up in either San Marcos, new Braunfles or seguin. World two 223 7.62 308 ww2 1940 German Luger p08 Issue 42 Code

·
Registered
416 Posts
Right side eagle proofs are fake...look at some on authentic pistols...the evidence is PLAIN to see...

Edward

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right side eagle proofs are fake...look at some on authentic pistols...the evidence is PLAIN to see...

Edward
Figured that.. just didn’t feel right and I kept referencing others from that time period but with that being said is it actually a 1940 issue 42 code that was probably marked after the war ?

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
It's also been refinished.

If you can buy it for $900, and want a shooter it might be considered - but only if it's mechanically perfect and has a good bore.

It looks like someone milled or ground down the side of the receiver. Why? It may have been someone trying to make a finish challenged Luger with pitting into a "pretty" Luger for sale...

In any case, they eliminated collector interest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Somebody went crazy with the regrain. Used like 50 grit sandpaper I bet. The side plate looks rounded a bit too. If you look close, they went up into the ears of the gun(where the safety latch is). No machining left. Replaced with the heavy grain job they did.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
$2100 is too much for this one. Need to cut 50% off. If have to spend $2100, there are much better samples.

·
Registered
607 Posts
$2100 is too much for this one. Need to cut 50% off. If have to spend $2100, there are much better samples.
Clear signs of heavy buffing and a reblue. The markings are an attempt to restore lost markings and might fool someone in a poorly lit gunshow hall. Not a mainstream collectible but offered at a mainstream collectible price.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The eagle stamp looks a bit cartoonish. You would have thought the gunsmith would have at least sourced an accurate die.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts