Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lady luck stood by me the day I bought an RZM marked PPK. To start with, another dealer sent the seller to me to look at three pistols that were for sale. The pistols were a very doggy S&W Victory Model, a very worn Radom, and the PPK. The PPK was priced no higher than the S&W or the Radom, so naturally I picked the PPK which was in a black pebble grain holster that didn't fit very well. Just as the seller started to walk off he ask if I would like a spare holster. Not knowing what he might have I took a look at the holster. It was the Akah for the PPK with the ink stamp under the flap. I traded the pebble grain for the Akah straight up. When I got the rig home I noticed that something was in the spare mag pouch, and it was the capture papers along with the tag with the GI's name, rank, and unit. Someone may know the purpose of the tag, but it appears that the GI may have had to leave the pistol to have the capture papers filled out, and tagged the pistol identifying it to him.

Download Attachment: ppk-4.jpg
234.4KB

Download Attachment: ppk-3.jpg
223.23KB

Download Attachment: ppk-2.jpg
135.58KB

Download Attachment: ppk-1.jpg
103.12KB

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
I am unsure, but Johnny, I am glad you made it, as I know you are very good, if not an expert on 1911's, and other guns.

Do you mean how they pictures showed up or?

NICE PPK btw!

Send me an e-mail at any time and we can discuss this.

Welcome Johnny, I enjoy your posts on the 1911 forum and you used to post more often on John D's forum.

Ed

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,198 Posts
Johnny.... What a great find on your RZM. A hard gun to get especially in the condition that you found it.

I have seen similiar tags on guns. I think sometimes it was just a way to make sure he got it back from some sort of "safe keeping". Perhaps the CO of the outfit told all the guys to tag their guns and he would hold them until they got home. The capture paper was the official receipt from the Army and normally I would think they would have carried that with them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was told that the tags were attached to the rigs when they were 'stored' on board the troop ships coming home.</u> You can imagine how the officers felt about having 3000 GI's with concealable firearms and 2 boring weeks on board a ship?

I am sure other locations may not have allowed them to be possessed while there? This,however has never been confirmed.

Also, theft from their barracks bags was a constant problem. For this reason, they often scratched big-ugly markings on the front of the holsters...to enable them to ID it if someone else had it!

Orv

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would agree the tags are most likely from the troop ship back home. I once owned a byf P.38 with capture certificate that still had the ship's tag attached. I believe in many cases, the GI got one tag that had the gun information on it when he turned it in to be stored, and the other mating tag had the GI's info on it and remained attached to the gun while aboard ship in storage. Upon his return back home, the GI simply showed the tag he carried with him as a sort of claim check (and perhaps capture certificate authorizing his ownership)and claimed his trophy from the ship's designated storage area or arms room.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a T14 Nambu with holster that has the capture paper & a red tag in the ammo pouch. The capture paper has just 1 Jap Pistol on it but the tag has 1 Jap Pistol (with case) #68312. This is the Nambu's S/N. The shipping number from the tag is written in pencil on the capture paper. The rear of the tag has Upper 2 Hatch which I would think was his location on the ship coming home.

Cliff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.