Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that there is really no correct catergory to post this under so will try the next closest thing. I have a real unqiue mystery piece here that I can not explain which maybe some of you might have an explanation as to why ??? It has a pre war or rather pre May 1945 frame which is indicated by the serial number but a post war or post May 1945 slide which is also indentified by the serial number. The grips are post war or so I am lead to believe. There are absolutely no other markings or proofmarks to be found on this pistol whether it be inside or outside. The finish appears that perhaps it has a extremely weak phosphate finish or even no finish at all. Why was this gun put together in its present state and by whom and when ??? We can only assume that the Czech did this work but why not finish it, or proof it ??? How did it make its way over here to the States ??? A very interesting pistol to say the least. Questions, many ! Answers , few !

Download Attachment: DSC01727-1.jpg
190.7KB

Download Attachment: DSC01728-1.jpg
183.7KB

Download Attachment: DSC01729-1.jpg
168.97KB

Download Attachment: DSC01730-1.jpg
188.04KB From what I can understand , the holster was made by this Adalbert Riedel under a Czech government contract and so mark.

Download Attachment: DSC01731-1.jpg
177.67KB

Download Attachment: DSC01734.jpg
108.74KB

Download Attachment: DSC01732-1.jpg
171.79KB

Download Attachment: DSC01733-1.jpg
190.24KB

Download Attachment: DSC01735.jpg
170.69KB

·
Registered
130 Posts
John,

I have a very similar pistol to yours. Very light finish with serial numbers but no proofs? Mine has the immediate post war grips that have the CZ emblem back on the grips. Does the barrel of your pistol have the WaA76 acceptance mark forward of the locking lugs?

From the little I have read on the liberation of Strakonice this pistol should fall in one of two categories. One it was liberated by US forces from the factory or it was take by the resistance just prior to the US liberation. There is also what appears to be a period of time where some guns were assembles/sold to/for US troops prior to the resuming of production at the factory post WWII. The first post war dated guns start appearing in the 474xxx range. Was it taken at time of liberation or was it bartered for food or smokes during the post liberation period, I don’t know, but it is from that timeframe.

Robert

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Robert , there are no proofmarks or stampings of any sort on this pistol other than the two serial numbers shown.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would assume that it was not a post war Czech used piece and would assume that it was prior to the resumption of production. The 45 dated pieces start appearing in the 474xxx range but not consistantly until 481xxx

·
Registered
410 Posts
Definitely May 1945 souvenir. In May days were total 3096 pistols partially given to wellcomed GI´s and partially stolen by Czech workers. Holster has nothing to with this pistol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.