Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I recently purchased this High-Power and was wondering if you might be able to help me with some input. This is the second pistol that I have ever owned, the other is an FB Radom VIS-35, and so my first High-Power. I am still learning and don't know a great deal about them yet.

This appears to be a typical Belgian pre-war pistol which I believe was manufactured in 1940 due to the serial number being in the 37XXX range, but there are two odd details that I have noticed. The first is that the (H) proof on the barrel is not aligned with the other proofs but is in-between the other proofs and the 'Cal. 9m/m P' proof. This isn't particularly ground-breaking, but I can't actually find any others with the marking stamped in the same way. The other odd feature is that the magazine does not appear to be original Belgian pre-war production but German and is WaA140 marked, it is also serial-numbered to the gun, which I have never seen before. What are your thoughts?
Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Air gun Trigger Line Gun accessory Wood
Air gun Trigger Automotive tire Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Audio equipment Bumper
Household hardware Tool Gas Nickel Auto part
Finger Wood Gas Metal Font
Watch Clock Electronic component Cable Font
Automotive tire Rim Bumper Automotive exterior Office supplies
Finger Drink Auto part Fashion accessory Household hardware
Finger Auto part Fashion accessory Titanium Electric blue
Car alarm Hand Finger Rectangle Nail

Attachments

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Hello,
This is a late '38 or '39 piece. The MAE inspectors were not always that careful, so the "H" marking may have been just a sloppy striking, or a MAE arsenal replacement barrel... these are almost impossible to identify as their numbering dies were the same as FN's.

The mag is quite typical of wartime captured pistols. Almost all prewar Belgian military pistols were captured and ended up here with returning G.I.s.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Original mags were not numbered, so a pre-war mag will fit in the package in just fine. Look on ebay or gunbroker. Your mag which was numbered will not detract from value at all.

Get rid of the stickers and clean with mineral oil or other mild solvent. The glue will eventually react chemically with the bluing.

For a second pistol, you have chosen a nice collectible!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Congrats on your pistol. You did good. Anthony literally wrote the book on FN's So cherish his comments. I agree the mag being numbered is unusual and not normally numbered. it is an original wartime German mag. My guess is the gun was pressed into service after the war for a police agency and then most likely made its way here. OR someone thought they would try and enhance the value by numbering the mag. I agree with Martin, being numbered doesn't really detract from it as it is still a nice wartime mag, it just doesn't enhance the value. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts