Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dwm 1917/1920 double date with sear safety & removed mag safety...My questions are; on inside of grips are a proof of a sunburst with a K under sunburst...on right side of receiver are normal proof marks. on the left side of the proofs is a letter G ...What are these proofs???

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ralph
The 1920 is a Reichswehr property stamp applied during late 1920 early 1921 to indicate Reichswehr property. The sear and mag safety were installed by Prussian State Police orders dated July 1933. The sunburst K is a Weimar/Nazi police inspection/acceptance stamp. The crown/scriptic G (is that what it is?) is a Weimar Era inspection/acceptance stamp.
Jan

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ralph
The 1920 is a Reichswehr property stamp applied during late 1920 early 1921 to indicate Reichswehr property. The sear and mag safety were installed by Prussian State Police orders dated July 1933. The sunburst K is a Weimar/Nazi police inspection/acceptance stamp. The crown/scriptic G (is that what it is?) is a Weimar Era inspection/acceptance stamp.
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jan, concerning question from mimi945 about the "G"proof mark on right receiver...There is no crown marking...The letter "G" is the same size as receiver proofs..Hope this you identfy this odd marking..
Ralph

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jan, concerning question from mimi945 about the "G"proof mark on right receiver...There is no crown marking...The letter "G" is the same size as receiver proofs..Hope this you identfy this odd marking..
Ralph

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jan,here is some info i found on the net but i can't remember the site... G= Gumbinnen District V...Prussian Police ( Schutz Polizei) 1932.... The base forms of the unit marks for this police force were ammended in regulations issued in 1932...I hope this new info will help you find the complete story odd proof... Ralph

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jan,here is some info i found on the net but i can't remember the site... G= Gumbinnen District V...Prussian Police ( Schutz Polizei) 1932.... The base forms of the unit marks for this police force were ammended in regulations issued in 1932...I hope this new info will help you find the complete story odd proof... Ralph

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Ralph, pictures would help very much in ID'ing the "proofs". I am sure the site you stated is this one : http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/police_unit_marks.html

It is then a copy of German Small Arms Markings From Authentic Sources by J. Goertz and D. Bryans and The Imperial German Regimental Marking [Revised Edition] by Jeff Noll, so I think it has no new information and have thought it probably a copyright violation by being on this guys website.

Ed

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Ralph, pictures would help very much in ID'ing the "proofs". I am sure the site you stated is this one : http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/police_unit_marks.html

It is then a copy of German Small Arms Markings From Authentic Sources by J. Goertz and D. Bryans and The Imperial German Regimental Marking [Revised Edition] by Jeff Noll, so I think it has no new information and have thought it probably a copyright violation by being on this guys website.

Ed

·
238 Posts
Jan & Ralph, If the G in question is the Frankentur (fancy German) G I would bet that it just indicates rework to Police specs and they forgot to add the crown over it. TH

·
238 Posts
Jan & Ralph, If the G in question is the Frankentur (fancy German) G I would bet that it just indicates rework to Police specs and they forgot to add the crown over it. TH

·
Registered
98 Posts
This might be a good time to add some nonemclature comments. A "proof" is a mark indicating successful passing of a proof firing test. An acceptance mark indicates acceptance of a finished arm into customer's ownership. Naval property marks may also be acceptance marks, although I don't know, but certainly indicate ownership of the arm by the navy. Finally, inspection marks are indications of successful passing of parts of the manufacture/assembly process for the arm usually including final assembly and meeting of all engineering specifications. The crown/letter right side receiver marks are inspection marks. Eagles are usually proof marks or final acceptance inspection marks. Crown or Eagle/N is a final acceptance mark. Eagle or anchor/M is a property, and possibly an acceptance, mark. Unit marks are a field marking used for identification and inventorying purposes.

Do these seem correct?

·
Registered
98 Posts
This might be a good time to add some nonemclature comments. A "proof" is a mark indicating successful passing of a proof firing test. An acceptance mark indicates acceptance of a finished arm into customer's ownership. Naval property marks may also be acceptance marks, although I don't know, but certainly indicate ownership of the arm by the navy. Finally, inspection marks are indications of successful passing of parts of the manufacture/assembly process for the arm usually including final assembly and meeting of all engineering specifications. The crown/letter right side receiver marks are inspection marks. Eagles are usually proof marks or final acceptance inspection marks. Crown or Eagle/N is a final acceptance mark. Eagle or anchor/M is a property, and possibly an acceptance, mark. Unit marks are a field marking used for identification and inventorying purposes.

Do these seem correct?

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
David, good call, this seems obvious, but probably isn't to many of the younger collectors on the forum,

Ed

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
David, good call, this seems obvious, but probably isn't to many of the younger collectors on the forum,

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ralph
You said "I hope this new info will help you find the complete story odd proof... Ralph"
The information is not new and is in Weimar Lugers page 195 and 196.
The sight has copied from "German Small Arms Markings" and "Weimar Lugers" and is in violation of copyright.

According to regulations Weimar police unit markings were placed on the front strap of Lugers. There is an exception used for a short time in the early 1920's where the partial unit stamp was placed elsewhere(usually above the lanyard.

Based on observations of many hundreds of Weimar police unit stamps and the various regulations, A "G" stamped on the right receiver does not constitute a unit stamp.
Jan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.