Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing up prior to being a Czech firearms collector I used to build model tanks, and being of Czech ancestry I always liked the Czech tanks that the Germans used. Now that I collect Czech firearms this pistol is kind of special to me. PUV (Pluk uyoèné vozby) is the unit mark for the Czech tankers. I found this pistol on one of the Auction boards here a few years ago. The holster also is an online auction purchase. The holster I do not think was ever used, as it had no wear indicators at all when I purchased it. The Holster was a little shrunken when I found it, but careful use of my cast Vz-24 pistol and it now fits well enough to close all the flaps without being too tight. The holster appears to have been made black from the start as the dye is under parts of the stitching in places and not in others.

One odd thing I would like to point out is that the pistol has a factory acceptance mark of CZ 31, and a Military acceptance mark of J lion 35. The pistol was made in the relative calm of the early 30’s and sat in Factory stores until 1935 when the Armored units were built up. There are a fair number of Pistol that are marked like this indicating the factory was producing pistols that the sat until the Government needed them. This happened with both the Vz-24 rifle and the Vz-24 pistol. Another odd thing is that unit marks on most Czech military units disappeared on pistols, rifles and bayonets around 1930 and 1931. This is the only 1935 dated Czech piece of militaria I own or have seen that has a unit mark on it after 1931.

I have also included some photos of the ammunition that these pistols used. 9mm Browning Krátký (9mm Kurtz or .380 ACP). I have a fair number of the 1937 dated cartridges if anyone wants to trade war time 9mm Kurtz or 7,65 Browning cartridges for one or two cartridges.

I hope you all enjoy the photos.

Download Attachment: PUV1.jpg
65.56KB

Download Attachment: PUV2.jpg
60KB

Download Attachment: PUV3.jpg
79.15KB

Download Attachment: PUV4.jpg
114.5KB

Download Attachment: PUV5.jpg
79.73KB

Download Attachment: PUV6.jpg
86.78KB

Download Attachment: PUV7.jpg
51.09KB

Jan if you would be so kind would you tell me where this unit was located and who commanded the unit. It would also be nice to know what book or resource you have that provides this information as I have many unit marks I would like to know where they were stationed.

Download Attachment: PUV8.jpg
148.76KB

again I have quite a few of the 1937 dated Czech cartridges if there are any trade offers out there.

Enjoy,

Robert

·
Registered
410 Posts
PUV means Prapor utocne vozby (Assault Vehicles Battalion) and later Pluk utocne vozby (Assault Vehicles Regiment.
The 2nd Prapor utocne vozby was located in Milovice and commanding oficer is unknown to me.
The 2nd Pluk utocne vozby was located in Frydek Mistek and the first commanding officer was lieutenant Vladimir HEINISCH.

The correct denomination of cartridge is 9mm naboj vzor 22 and it is not the same like .380 ACP / 9 mm kurz. Contemporary 9 mm Kurz loads give some 265 - 270 m/s muzzle velocity. 9 mm vzor 22 has about 300 m/s muzzle velocity. Following my experiences common today .380 Auto / 9 mm Kurz has about 28 - 290 m/s and is enough for old "24".

The vzor 24 Rifle and vzor 24 Pistol is the same (confusing) cause like M1 Carbine and M1 Rifle. Czech people mixed up both M1 Rifle and Carbine too...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jan,

Thanks for the reply. Would you think that this pistol is part of the later Pluk uyoèné vozby (Assault Vehicles Regiment) being that the pistol is 1935 dated?

Thanks for the correction. I knew that the cartridge was a vzor 22, I just copied down the incorrect label when I looked in the other Jan's (Skramoušský) book. That is what I get when I am trying to hurry to get the photos taken before the boss finds me playing.

Thanks,

Robert

G

·
Robert
BOY That a nice pistol, I KNOW tanker would keep that holster that nice in side a tank. I know. :) CAN i ask what you pay for the pistol? being i was a tanker i would love to find one. now i know what to look's for PUV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.