Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some assistance and education on using a stock with artillery Luger. I have these two artillery Lugers (1917 & 1918). The 1917 came with a period proofed stock, snail drum and an ATF form 4. The 1918 has neither stock or drum. Is it ok to shoot either with a reproduction (copy) of an original stock?
Wood Trigger Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes when I purchased the gun with stock I had to wait a year to take possession. I always keep the form with the gun. I have read posts with letters from ATF about artillery Lugers being exempt. But mine definitely has a form 4. I can post photo of form if it is of interest.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
I have never ever heard of a form 4 for a luger. I Imagine somebody thought it was needed. But unless its full auto or equipped with a silencer...
Download the ATF C&R listing and you can see it in black and white, here it is;

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have no idea what a “pre letter” is but I’ve been in the NFA game for 20-plus years. Since the LP.08 with original stock is specfically exempted from the NFA I’d suggest writing a letter to the NFA branch. Explain that you have a “simple” LP.08 and original shoulder stock that is currently registered in the NFRTR. Be sure to include the serial number shown on your Form 4. Tell/remind them that this specific combination is expressly exempted from the NFA per Section III of the C&R list and request that it be removed from the registry.

It couldn’t hurt to include a photocopy of your Form 4, Section III of the C&R list with the relevant listing highlighted, and a good clear photo of your gun showing the serial number. Be sure to request they send a paper copy f their reply, notifying you of your gun’s removal from the registry. If it matters, I had to notify NFA Branch last year of a registry error on an Uzi I own. They were very helpful and were quick to fix the error.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Years ago in the 70's and 80's it was illegal to posses a luger, or c96 with a shoulder stock. The regulation changed placing these gun in the C & R catagory and stocks were made legal. I remember seeing many luger and broom handle stocks being sold without the irons during this period.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
what does ATF say?

Not being a jerk, but do an ATF search and then you have what it states there. (although there are numerous postings of this same ask many times here)

the short answer is that there are letters stating repro as long as it is essentially the same - but we can't give you legal advice here

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
ie - If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this constitute possession of an NFA firearm? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this constitute possession of an NFA firearm?

Yes, unless the barrel of the pistol is at least 16 inches in length (and the overall length of the firearm with stock attached is at least 26 inches). However, certain stocked handguns, such as original semiautomatic Mauser “Broomhandles” and Lugers, have been removed from the purview of the NFA as collectors’ items.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts