Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "modern" Stoeger Luger American Eagle that I bought back in 1999. It is a matt black stainless steel 6" Navy model with 2 magazines. The right side of the gun has "Stoeger Ind. American Eagle, Cal 9MM Luger Navy" and "Aimco Inc. Houston Texas"; the left side says "Luger" and there is an eagle on top of the chamber. I have the original plastic box (which say Stoeger Industries, 5 Mansfield Court, Wayne, NJ and has a hand written date of 9/26/96), owners manual, and warranty card; as well as a color brochure sent to me by Stoeger industries which shows a list price for the gun on 1/1/1999 of $799. I see a listing for it in the 2000 "Shooter's Bible" for $799 also. (Think I paid about $700 for it). I shot it 2 times back in 1999, it shot well and was quite accurate at 25 yds; I cleaned it an put it away. I would say it is in ANIB condtion; maybe 99 percent or better, since it was fired. I don't think they are currently manufactured as I see no current listings in the publications I have.
My question is, does this Luger have any collectable value, and if so, any idea of the current value? I don't see it listed in any of the catalogs I have that list Luger values. Thanks!

· Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
Patrick,

It is. The company is now called 'Orimar' and is the same that produced the stainless for Stoeger and Aimco. Their publicity machine is not very good, though.

Last time I checked, they were working on a 45 version of the stainless.

(info from the lugerforum website:)

Orimar Firearms Manufacturing, Inc.
R.E. Romo
Orimar Corp
PO box 8767
Houston,TX
77249-8767
(713) 305-8540
Current Reproduction Stainless Steel Lugers
Former producer of Mitchell, Stoeger and AIMCO Stainless Steel Lugers.

· Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
Hi Patrick,

Sources report not a lot of interchangeability between parts. I think Orimar wants to steer clear of law suits and made sure that most parts differ enough to avoid people sticking them in older Lugers. Some parts of early Interarms and later Orimar lugers cannot be interchanged either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi,I'd like to have one of these stainless pistols.the 45 sounds interesting but a 9mm would do.does anyone have info on quality,durability,current value? I'd like to learn more about them,before I commit.will appreciate any leads.thanks,crazig

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Orimar Firearms Manufacturing, Inc. - R.E. Romo, Orimar Corp, PO box 8767, Houston,TX 77249-8767, (713) 305-8540
Current Reproduction Stainless Steel Lugers (Former producer of Mitchell, Stoeger and AIMCO Stainless Steel Lugers)

e-mail to the owner, they are NOT very responsive... [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello again,I just got off the phone with the owner of ORIMAR. I interrupted his golf game. he was very nice & patient despite this, & told me the 9mm's are still some months away, the 45's are further away. prices will start at $699. I cant imagine why a used one would cost more than this, as most people would prefer new. any comments on this phenomenon,or future collectability of Mitchell, aimco, stoeger varieties? I can't see them climbing in value over a new one, although I have seen one offered for over $800.

am I missing something? the email for ORIMAR didn't go through, but the address is good, & there will be a brochure eventually. please let me hear of any clean used 4" barreled INOX pistols for sale. many thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi mark,please let me know if you decide to sell your stoeger luger.far as I know they are worth about what you paid for it.I just spent $100 more for a real pretty 1940 code 42 shooter.in the future,I intend to buy a stainless luger.the new batch comming out will be $699.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still hunting for a stainless luger.yesterday I was told by a dealer with experience,to stay away from Mitchell lugers which were junk,& that the stoegers all seemed to function well & hold up.any oppinions? if I don't ask-I wont learn.thanks!

· Banned
815 Posts
I saw it on a table at an Arizona gun show. The seller does the rounds of Arizona shows, and I'll bet the next time I see him he still has the Luger. When I see it I'll post contact info, but it may take a couple of months.

· Registered
51 Posts
Hi all,
In following this thread I am confused as I understand it Aimco (or Orimar) produced all of the Stainless Steel Lugers. Why would the ones marked Mitchell be junk and the ones marked Stoger be good? They were all built at the same factory, using the same equipment by the same people. Both the Stoger and Mitchell are marked as made by Amico. The Amico stamp is on the right side just above the grip. I expect the only thing that Stoger or Mitchell had to do with the gun was the marketing. Can anyone confirm this or am I out in left field.

Bob M.

· Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
Hi Bob,

The design was improved and modified a couple of times. If I remember correctly, the first series had a bit of a flawed receiver-design, using a pin to hold the sear bar. The metal would somtimes fracture around that pin, effectively ripping the receiver in half.

The latest ones appear to be much more solidly made as the result of some revised and thought-through redesign.

· Registered
51 Posts
Vlim,
Thanks for the info, I have two of these, one 4 inch with just the Aimco name on it, and one 6 inch Stoger marked. I am going to look at both of them to try and see what version I have. Do you have any more information on when the changes might have been made serial number etc. Do you have any pictures of the old and new? There is a thread on the other Luger form about Omimar trying to get back into production. I might try call them or write them a note and see if they can shed any light on what one should look for in the newest model.

Thanks,
Bob M.

· Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
Maddog,

Sorry, I'm working on memories from a post about them that's almost 2 years old. It had a detail photograph of the area around the sear pin where the frame had snapped.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HOT FLASH ON VALUE:I just this week missed a like new 6" navy bright stoeger 9mm in box etc. for $550.on gunsamerica(still there).I put in a follow up bid,& had a nice conversation with the owner.his only criticisim of pistol was the trigger pull & poor sight picture.no mechanical complaints.I tend to believe him, since it will probably go to the first bidder at that price..so I'm still in the market, & the $$ is burning my pocket.would really appreciate all shopping help.please email:[email protected] directly,if the game is afoot. thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.