Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a rough condition barrel for my 1911A1 to use for shooting so I could protect my high-condition HS barrel. Interestingly, when I examined the rough barrel, it has an ambiguous mark over the chamber and a "5" stamped under the barrel. No other obvious markings including no "H" over the chamber. This looks like it might be a very very early Colt barrel but I can't tell. It could just be something else. Does anyone have some expertise in these 1911 barrels and can offer an opinion? Thanks.
Sorry but these are the best photos I could generate. The small "5" and the ambiguous mark over the chamber are all the markings there are.
Cylinder Gas Office supplies Gun accessory Office equipment
Natural material Bicycle part Metal Office supplies Cylinder

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a couple of books, but they're in the Den - will try to remember tomorrow.
in the meantime, there is a good site on 1911's www.coolgunsite.com
its a good start for a quick look
Hi--It was coolgunsite information (photos 7a and 7b of barrels) that hinted the identity of the barrel; however, those photos and the text on that site are not complete or definitive. I thought someone with more information might be able to improve my identification. Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you, please, make a better in-focus picture of the marking on the chamber?
Hi--Took a few more photos of the only markings on this barrel. I paired it with another M1911 barrel (marked "H" and "P") to help me focus. There is only the ambiguous marking over the chamber (probably a "P" but not clearly stamped) and a "5" under the chamber. I notice that there is longitudinal milling on that barrel whereas it looks radial on the other barrel.
Material property Cylinder Metal Household hardware Office supplies

Nickel Cylinder Personal protective equipment Metal Fashion accessory
Textile Cylinder Red Material property Tin
Cylinder Material property Tints and shades Metal Auto part
Nickel Cylinder Personal protective equipment Metal Fashion accessory
Material property Cylinder Metal Household hardware Office supplies

Cylinder Material property Tints and shades Metal Auto part

Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal Automotive tire

Textile Cylinder Red Material property Tin

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I'm curious, are you going to swap in the other vintage barrel to shoot with? I have a 1917 (Colt 1911) I put a 1991 Colt barrel in when I want to shoot it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm curious, are you going to swap in the other vintage barrel to shoot with? I have a 1917 (Colt 1911) I put a 1991 Colt barrel in when I want to shoot it.
I won't be shooting a vintage barrel. I will just continue my search for a modern shooting barrel if and when I want to shoot my WW2-era Rem Rand. Thanks for asking.
There is more to the story, by the way. I went back to the seller of the vintage barrel and told him I would buy the second barrel he had to offer and which was in better condition for shooting--should be more accurate, etc. I bought it and guess what--it was an even earlier barrel. From what I later learned, both barrels are pre-1924. One has the intertwined HP and the other has separate H and P over the chamber.
Still need a modern shooting barrel but no complaints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts